On 22nd February 2020, Alex Ovechkin scored his 700th NHL goal in a 3-2 defeat for his Washington Capitals side against the New Jersey Devils. In light of this milestone, we've looked back at the Russian's prolific NHL career.
All stats are accurate as of 22/02/20 following Ovechkin's 700th NHL goal.
TEAMS SCORED AGAINST
- Ovechkin has scored more goals (48) against Tampa Bay Lightning (TBL) than any other team in the NHL.
- Ovechkin's best goals-per-game ratio is against Minnesota Wild (MIN) whom he has scored against 15 times in 16 appearances (0.94). However, arguably more impressive - given the amount of games played - is his 41 strikes in 50 games against Toronto Maple Leafs (TOR)
GAMES PLAYED PER SEASON
GOALS PER SEASON
- Ovechkin is only the eighth player in NHL history to reach the 700-goal milestone.
- 2019-2020 is the 11th NHL season in which Ovechkin has scored 40 goals or more – only Wayne Gretzky (12) has more 40-goal seasons.
- Including the 2019-2020 season, Ovechkin has been the fastest player to hit the 40-goal mark in nine NHL seasons.
- In the 2019-20 season, it took Ovechkin 53 games to reach 40 goals, the third fastest he has reached that mark and the fastest he has done so since 2009-10 (51 games)
- Ovechkin exceeded the 50-goal mark in four of his first five seasons in the NHL.
- Ovechkin is closing in on his ninth 50-goal season - this would tie Wayne Gretzky and Mike Bossy for the most in NHL history.
- Ovechkin has achieved a total of over 60 goals in NHL regular season and play-off games on three occasions.
- Prior to the 2019-2020 season, Ovechkin had finished as the top scorer in the NHL in six of the last seven seasons.
- Ovechkin’s highest seasonal total for goals scored in NHL regular season and play-off games came in 2007-08 when he scored 69.
ASSISTS PER SEASON
- Ovechkin has topped a total of 50 regular season assists in four NHL seasons.
- Ovechkin has registered 50 or more assists in NHL regular season and play-off games on six occasions.
POINTS PER SEASON
- Ovechkin is the second fastest player to ever reach the 700-goal mark, having done so in 1,144 games, only Wayne Gretzky (886 games) achieved 700 goals quicker in the NHL.
- Prior to 2019-2020, Ovechkin had exceeded the 80-point mark in nine NHL seasons.
- Ovechkin scored more than 100 points in four of his first five seasons in the NHL.
- Ovechkin has topped the 100-point mark in NHL regular season and play-off games on five occasions.
POINTS PER GAME BY SEASON
- In the 2019-2020 NHL season, Ovechkin became the first player to score four or more hat tricks in a season after turning 33 years old.
- Ovechkin’s highest seasonal total for points per game in NHL regular season and play-off games came in 2009-10 when he registered 1.51 points per game.
SHOTS PER SEASON
- Ovechkin is on his way to leading the NHL in shots on goal for the 12th time. He has never had fewer than 303 shots on goal in a full season and has topped 400 three times, including 528 in 2008-09, when he scored 56 goals.
SHOOTING % PER SEASON
- Ovechkin’s hat trick against the Los Angeles Kings on February 4th 2020 was scored in a span of 4:24 minutes – it was the quickest three goals of his career and the first natural hat trick of his career.
AT A GLANCE
NHL regular season record *as of 25/02/2020
15 - NHL seasons
1145 – games
700 – goals
570 – assists
1270 – points
1.11 – points per game
110 – game-winning goals
5520 – shots
12.7% – shooting percentage