A breakdown of Erling Haaland’s club goals in the 2022/23 season
Erling Haaland was one of the most coveted players on the planet owing to his scoring exploits at Borussia Dortmund before Manchester City secured his signature ahead of the 2022/23 season. Since then, the Norwegian has been nothing short of phenomenal, especially in terms of the numbers he has managed to produce in front of goal.
At just 22 years old, Haaland has already shown his quality for City this season and looks set to break a variety of records across not only the Premier League but also potentially in the UEFA Champions League and Europe as a whole. The 50-goal mark for the campaign has already been surpassed by the giant striker and we have collated all of the data from each of his efforts to date this season with updates to follow as the season progresses.
Last updated on 16/05/2023 - currently on 52 goals for the season
- It will come as no surprise that the majority of Erling Haaland’s goals scored during the 2022/23 season have occurred in the Premier League. The Norwegian international has notched 36 PL goals to date, accounting for 69.2% of his total goals.
- Haaland is also enjoying an excellent season in the UEFA Champions League with 12 efforts so far which equates to 23.1% of his goals for the campaign.
BY PITCH AREA
- Haaland has shown his prowess in the box and while there is more to his game than being a stereotypical ‘poacher’, the majority of his goals have occurred in the penalty area.
- 31 goals have been scored within the penalty area (not including 6 yard box goals) and 20 have been notched in the 6 yard box (38.5%), while he has managed to score just one goal (1.9%) from outside the area.
- Haaland has shown he is capable of finding the back of the net via a variety of methods but he clearly prefers his left foot with 35 strikes (67.3%).
- He has also used his right when required with nine (17.3%) while he has shown his quality in the air too with eight headed goals (15.4%).
BY GOAL TYPE
- Due to his all-round quality, Haaland has largely been utilised as Man City’s penalty taker this season with eight of his goals coming from the spot (15.4%).
- He has yet to score from a direct free-kick with City’s squad littered with talent at dead ball situations while 44 of his goals have come in open play (84.6%).
- Haaland’s goals have occurred in an even split between the first half and second half of matches with 26 strikes either side of the break.
- Man City have not contested a match this season that required extra-time but they remain in the FA Cup and UEFA Champions League, which could open the door for this.
- With Pep Guardiola sometimes withdrawing his star striker when a game is won, it is perhaps unsurprising that the Norwegian has scored just seven goals in the final 15 minutes of matches (13.5%).
- Haaland’s fewest goals occur in the opening 15 minutes where teams perhaps try to limit City and that has seen him score on just five occasions in that period (9.6%), while his most dangerous period is the 15 minutes leading into the break with 12 efforts in that time (23.1%).
TEAMS SCORED AGAINST
- Crystal Palace and Wolves have been Haaland’s favourite opponents in the PL this season with him managing to find the back of the net on four occasions against each side.
- German side RB Leipzig will be glad to see the back of the behemoth with Haaland bagging five times against them in their two UCL clashes, all of those coming in the same game. They are the side which the Norwegian has found the back of the net on more occasions than anyone else so far this season.
- Haaland has perhaps shown his individual prowess by scoring 16 goals without being assisted (30.8%). Some of those of course came from the spot but it demonstrates that Haaland is also able to pounce on loose balls and errors, as well as creating goalscoring opportunities for himself.
- In terms of Haaland’s teammates, there is clear chemistry with Kevin De Bruyne with the Belgian assisting an incredible 12 of the striker’s goals (23.1%), which is at least eight more than any other teammate.
See how Erling Haaland's club goals this season have compared to Kylian Mbappe's