2019-20 Big Bash League – Hobart Hurricanes vs Sydney Sixers Preview & Prediction
When is Hobart Hurricanes vs Sydney Sixers taking place? Friday 20th December, 2019 – 03:45 (UK)
Where is Hobart Hurricanes vs Sydney Sixers taking place? Traeger Park, Alice Springs
What is the expected weather for Hobart Hurricanes vs Sydney Sixers? 41c with sunshine forecast all day
What television channel is Hobart Hurricanes vs Sydney Sixers on in the UK? BT Sport have the rights to BBL09 matches so it is worth checking their schedule
Where can I stream Hobart Hurricanes vs Sydney Sixers in the UK? If televised, BT Sport subscribers will be able to stream the match live via the BT Sport website & app
Where can I get tickets for Hobart Hurricanes vs Sydney Sixers? Visit the official BBL website for ticket information
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Sydney Sixers beat Hobart Hurricanes by 9 wickets
THE TEAM NEWS
- After topping the group stage in BBL|08 and comfortably being the best team in the early stages of the tournament, Hobart Hurricanes were beaten at the semi-final stage by Melbourne Stars and they will be hoping to go deep into the tournament once again this year.
- The squad is relatively settled although they have changed one of their overseas players as Tymal Mills has left the club and South African star David Miller joins the team and that is a big boost to their middle order and in the field.
- They possessed the top two runscorers in the entire tournament with Matthew Wade and D’Arcy Short in sparkling form at the top of the order, but they will have to do without Wade who has forced his way into the Australian Test team while Short and McDermott could also miss game-time although they will hope that all three are available for this opener.
- They will rely heavily on paceman Riley Meredith and clutch death bowler James Faulkner with the ball while Qais Ahmed will be a key figure as their frontline spinner after Johan Botha retired.
- Sydney Sixers got their BBL|09 campaign off to a fantastic start on Wednesday as they comprehensively outplayed Perth Scorchers by beating them by eight wickets after bowling them out for just 131.
- Their bowling unit showed just why they are one of the best, if slightly underrated, attacks in the entire tournament with all of their bowlers contributing in restricting the Scorchers to just 131 and it could have been much less had it not been for some late hitting by Fawad Ahmed.
- After such an outstanding display, there is every chance that coach Greg Shipperd will name the same set of players for this match and they will look for more fireworks at the top of the order from Josh Philippe who hammered an unbeaten 81 from 44 balls in the opening win.
This promises to be an excellent match between two teams that will expect to challenge at the business end of the tournament. The Sixers were outstanding in their opening match on Wednesday and they will look to follow that up with a similar quality performance. The Hurricanes will likely provide them with a much stiffer test however as they have plenty of quality in their ranks and will be confident. They have slightly more firepower with the bat and if they can hit the ground running, they may just have too much for the Sixers in what promises to be a close and evenly-fought match.