Qatar vs Senegal – Group Stage – Preview & Prediction | 2022 FIFA World Cup
When is Qatar vs Senegal on and what time does it start? Qatar vs Senegal will take place on Friday 25th November, 2022 – 13:00 (UK)
Where is Qatar vs Senegal taking place? Qatar vs Senegal will take place at Al Thumama Stadium in Doha, Qatar
Where can I get tickets for Qatar vs Senegal? Visit this link for the latest ticket information for Qatar vs Senegal
What channel is Qatar vs Senegal on in the UK? Qatar vs Senegal will be televised live on BBC
Where can I stream Qatar vs Senegal in the UK? Qatar vs Senegal can be streamed live on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website & app
- Qatar did not get off to the start they would have hoped for taking part in the opening match of the 2022 FIFA World Cup, losing 0-2 to Ecuador, which immediately leaves them with a mountain to climb if they wish to reach the knockout stage.
- Only two substitutions were made by Qatar boss Felix Sanchez against Ecuador and he has a tough decision regarding whether to make any changes for this game, with striker Mohammed Muntari among those hoping for a starting birth this time round.
- Senegal showed plenty of promise against Netherlands, but lacked that cutting edge going forward and were ruthlessly punished by Louis van Gaal’s side, losing 2-0 with both of Netherlands’ two goals coming inside the final ten minutes.
- Head coach Aliou Cisse could turn to Marseille striker Bamba Dieng in a bid to solve attacking struggles, whilst Famara Diedhiou is also an enticing option for Cisse to utilise if he wishes.
THE TEAM NEWS
PREDICTED XI (5-3-2): Al Sheeb; Ro-Ro, Al Rawi, Khoukh, A. Hassan, Ahmed; Al Haydos, Boudiaf, Hatem; A. Ali, Afif
PREDICTED XI (4-3-3): Mendy; Sabaly, Koulibaly, Cisse, Diallo; Kouyate, Mendy, Gueye; I. Sarr, Dieng, Dia
QUESTIONABLE: Kouyate (Injured)
THE KEY STATS
- This is the first-ever international match between Qatar and Senegal
- Qatar have lost only three of their last 13 international matches against African opposition (W5 D5)
- Qatar have kept three clean sheets in their last five international matches against African opposition
- Senegal have lost two successive World Cup matches for the first time
- Senegal have not kept a clean sheet in their last eight World Cup matches
- Senegal’s only previous World Cup match against a nation representing the AFC was their 2-2 draw against Japan in 2018
- Senegal are unbeaten in their last four international matches against AFC opposition (W1 D3)
- Senegal’s second match in each of their previous two World Cup participations finished level
- Against the Netherlands, Kalidou Koulibaly, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Youssouf Sabaly, Cheikhou Kouyate and Ismaila Sarr became the first players to play for Senegal at two FIFA World Cups (2018 & 2022)
Based on Qatar’s performance in their first match of the group stage, Senegal won’t have a better opportunity than this to make up for their offensive slump against Netherlands. The absence of star-man Sadio Mane has undoubtedly affected their forward play adversely, but even without Mane, Senegal should be able to fashion a sizeable number of goalscoring opportunities against Qatar, who looked extremely shaky from a defensive perspective against Ecuador, whilst goalkeeper Saad Al Sheeb hardly inspired confidence, his error leading to Ecuador’s opening goal from the penalty spot. Expect the African champions to bounce back positively from their loss at the hands of Netherlands by gaining a vital three points in this match.
TIP: SENEGAL TO WIN