Argentina vs Saudi Arabia – Group Stage – Preview & Prediction | 2022 FIFA World Cup
When is Argentina vs Saudi Arabia on and what time does it start? Argentina vs Saudi Arabia will take place on Tuesday 22nd November, 2022 – 10:00 (UK)
Where is Argentina vs Saudi Arabia taking place? Argentina vs Saudi Arabia will take place at Lusail Iconic Stadium in Lusail, Qatar
Where can I get tickets for Argentina vs Saudi Arabia? Visit this link for the latest ticket information for Argentina vs Saudi Arabia
What channel is Argentina vs Saudi Arabia on in the UK? Argentina vs Saudi Arabia will be televised live on ITV
Where can I stream Argentina vs Saudi Arabia in the UK? Argentina vs Saudi Arabia can be streamed live on the ITV Hub
- 2021 Copa America winners Australia are searching for a first FIFA World Cup title since 1986, a long drought for a country that consistently produces such a rich array of footballing talent
- Any panic regarding Lionel Messi fitness was dispelled after he was seen back training with his teammates ahead of this match, however the likes of Paulo Dybala, Papu Gomez and Cristian Romero are all doubtful.
- Saudi Arabia are set to compete in their sixth World Cup and are under the command of two-time Africa Cup of Nations winner Herve Renard, the Frenchman boasting vast managerial experience.
- Renard has a fully-fit squad to choose from here with skipper Salman Al-Faraj passed fit following a recent shoulder injury.
THE TEAM NEWS
PREDICTED XI (4-3-3): E. Martinez; Molina, Romero, Otamendi, Acuna; De Paul, Paredes, Mac Allister; Messi, L. Martinez, Di Maria
QUESTIONABLE: Dybala (Injured), Gomez (Fitness), Romero (Fitness)
PREDICTED XI (4-2-3-1): al-Owais, Abdulhamid, Al-Amrial, Al-Bulaihi, Al-Shahrani; Kanno, Oyayf; al-Buraikan, Al-Faraj, Al-Dawsari; Al-Shehri
THE KEY STATS
- FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ is Argentina’s 13th successive FIFA World Cup appearance, having participated at each final tournament since 1974
- Argentina are unbeaten in their last 36 international matches (W25 D11). Their last defeat was against Brazil in the semi-finals of the 2019 Copa America in July 2019. They are one game short of equalling Italy’s international record of 37 games without defeat (2018–21)
- Argentina have kept 13 clean sheets in their last 15 international matches
- Argentina have lost only one of their last 13 FIFA World Cup group stage matches (W9 D3)
- Excluding penalty shoot-outs, Argentina have won only one of their last five World Cup matches (D2 L3)
- Argentina have won each of their previous four World Cup matches against AFC nations
- Argentina’s last defeat in their opening match at a World Cup was against Cameroon in 1990. Their record since then in opening matches is W6 D1
- Lionel Messi is featuring for a record-equalling fifth time at the World Cup, he is the first Argentinian player to reach this total. Messi is one of four players to reach this number at Qatar 2022. Overall, eight players have achieved the feat
- Ángel Di María is the fourth Argentinian player to participate in four World Cup final tournaments
- Lionel Messi is set to make his 20th appearance in a World Cup match. This would move him level with Javier Mascherano in joint-second place on Argentina’s all-time list and one behind their record-holder Diego Maradona who played 21 games in the tournament
- Lionel Messi has scored ten goals in Argentina’s last four international matches
- Only seven of Argentina’s 26 player squad have participated in previous World Cup final tournaments.
- Saudi Arabia are making their sixth FIFA World Cup appearance overall, and second in a row having also featured at Russia 2018
- Saudi Arabia’s 2-1 victory against Egypt in their final group match at Russia 2018 ended a run of 12 World Cup matches without a win. It was their first victory at the finals since a 1-0 win against Belgium in 1994
- Saudi Arabia have kept only one clean sheet in their previous 16 World Cup matches. The only clean sheet was in their 1-0 win against Belgium in 1994
- Saudi Arabia have faced South American opposition only once previously at the FIFA World Cup. They suffered a narrow 1-0 defeat against Uruguay in the group stage at Russia 2018
- Nine of the Saudi Arabia squad also participated four years ago at Russia 2018. Including Salman Al Faraj and Salem Al Dawsari who scored their only goals at that final tournament in their 2-1 victory against Egypt
- Saudi Arabia lost just one of their 18 matches in their successful qualifying campaign for Qatar 2022 (W13 D4)
Argentina arrive at the 2022 FIFA World Cup as the favourites to win with many and understandably so. Having got the better of Brazil in last year’s Copa America, Lionel Scaloni’s men are well-positioned to carry on their winning momentum and are one game away from tying Italy’s world-record undefeated streak of 37 matches in international football. Scaloni has put together an extremely well-drilled defence and with the quality of Lionel Messi, Angel Di Maria and Lautaro Martinez going forward, goals are never far away. For Saudi Arabia, defeat here wouldn’t mean the end of their World Cup dream, but it will be vital that they do not lose heavily for the sake of their goal difference. However, the expectation is that Argentina will triumph by at least two clear goals.
TIP: ARGENTINA TO WIN WITH -1 HANDICAP