Costa Rica vs Germany – Group Stage – Preview & Prediction | 2022 FIFA World Cup
When is Costa Rica vs Germany on and what time does it start? Costa Rica vs Germany will take place on Thursday 1st December, 2022 – 19:00 (UK)
Where is Costa Rica vs Germany taking place? Costa Rica vs Germany will take place at Al Bayt Stadium in Al Khor, Qatar
Where can I get tickets for Costa Rica vs Germany? Visit this link for the latest ticket information for Costa Rica vs Germany
What channel is Costa Rica vs Germany on in the UK? Costa Rica vs Germany will be televised live on ITV
Where can I stream Costa Rica vs Germany in the UK? Costa Rica vs Germany can be streamed live on the ITV Hub
- Costa Rica were surprise winners in their clash with Japan as they managed to nab a 1-0 victory despite showing little attacking threat, scoring with what was their only shot on target but that level of performance is not sustainable.
- The Costa Ricans face a much tougher assignment here and while they will be buoyant after their win over Japan, they are unlikely to secure the result they need to advance in the tournament with the loss of Francisco Calvo to a ban a real blow at the back.
- Germany needed a late goal from substitute Nicolas Fullkrug to avoid an embarrassing early exit from the 2022 FIFA World Cup but there is still lots of work to do if they are to progress to the Round of 16.
- The Germans must win this game to have any chance of progressing and it could well be that they need to bag a few goals in the process and that may see them turn to Fullkrug to start the game up front after Thomas Muller struggled last time out while Leroy Sane is also pushing for a start.
THE TEAM NEWS
PREDICTED XI (5-4-1): Navas; Fuller, Duarte, Watson, Vargas, Oviedo; Torres, Borges, Tejeda, Campbell; Bennette
UNAVAILABLE: Francisco Calvo (Suspended)
PREDICTED XI (4-2-3-1): Neuer; Kehrer, Sule, Rudiger, Raum; Kimmich, Gundogan; Gnabry, Musiala, Sane; Fullkrug
THE KEY STATS
- Germany defeated Costa Rica 4-2 in the only previous World Cup match between these two nations (2006 group stage)
- Costa Rica have lost only three of their last ten World Cup matches (W3 D4)
- Costa Rica have won only one of their last 11 World Cup matches against European teams (D5 L5)
- Costa Rica have qualified from their group in two of their previous five World Cup participations (1990 and 2014)
- Germany have won six of their previous eight World Cup matches against Concacaf nations (D1 L1). Their one and only defeat came against Mexico in the group stage four years ago (L 1-0)
- Germany have failed to win either of their opening two matches in a first-round group stage at a World Cup for the first time in their history
- Germany are without a win in their last three FIFA World Cup matches (D1 L2). Their longest run without a victory in the competition since a three-match winless run across the 1982 and 1986 tournaments
- Germany have won only two of their last ten international matches (D6 L2)
- Germany have only failed to score in one of their last 18 international matches
- Germany have only failed to qualify from a first-round group stage once in FIFA World Cup history from their previous 16 attempts. The only occasion was at Russia 2018
Germany must win this game with Costa Rica to have any chance of progressing to the next round of the 2022 FIFA World Cup. The Germans were on the verge of elimination until they bagged a leveller late on in their clash with Spain last time out and will look to earn their first win of the tournament here. Costa Rica upset Japan in their latest contest but they showed little attacking intent in that game and their lack of quality on the ball is likely to be their downfall in this one so expect the Germans to win without conceding.
TIP: GERMANY TO WIN TO NIL