France vs Poland – Round of 16 – Preview & Prediction | 2022 FIFA World Cup
When is France vs Poland on and what time does it start? France vs Poland will take place on Sunday 4th December, 2022 – 15:00 (UK)
Where is France vs Poland taking place? France vs Poland will take place at Al Thumama Stadium in Doha, Qatar
Where can I get tickets for France vs Poland? Visit this link for the latest ticket information for France vs Poland
What channel is France vs Poland on in the UK? France vs Poland will be televised live on BBC / France vs Poland will be televised live on ITV
Where can I stream France vs Poland in the UK? France vs Poland can be streamed live on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website & app / France vs Poland can be streamed live on the ITV Hub
- As expected, reigning world champions France successfully topped their group, although they do enter the round of 16 on the back of a surprise 1-0 defeat against Tunisia in the final round of matches.
- France will revert back to their first-choice starting XI, with Theo Hernandez once again deputising at left-back for injured brother Lucas.
- Poland advanced through to the round of 16 by the barest of margins, at one point by virtue of having accumulated fewer yellow cards than Mexico before a late Saudi Arabia goal meant that goal difference saw them through.
- After being left on the bench last time out against Argentina, Arkadiusz Milik is expected to return to the starting line-up for this match, partnering Robert Lewandowski in attack.
THE TEAM NEWS
PREDICTED XI (4-2-3-1): Lloris; Pavard, Upamecano, Konate, T. Hernandez; Rabiot, Tchouameni; Dembele, Griezmann, Mbappe; Giroud
UNAVAILABLE: L. Hernandez (Injured)
PREDICTED XI (4-4-2): Szczesny; Cash, Glik, Kiwior, Bereszysk; Zielinski, Bielik, Krychowiak, Frankowski; Lewandowski, Milik
THE KEY STATS
- France are unbeaten in the last seven matches between these two nations (W3 D4). This is their first meeting since June 2011 when France claimed a 1-0 win in a friendly encounter in Warsaw. Poland’s last victory in this fixture came in 1984 in a 4-0 win in Paris in a friendly match
- France have kept a clean sheet in five of their last seven matches against Poland
- France have won each of their last five FIFA World Cup round of 16 matches (1986, 1998, 2006, 2014, 2018). This is six in a row if the first round of the 1938 final competition is included
- France have been successful in 13 of their last 15 FIFA World Cup knockout round ties (includes one win via PSO and one defeat via PSO)
- Excluding penalty shoot-outs, France have lost only one of their last 15 matches in the FIFA World Cup knockout rounds (W12 D2)
- Kylian Mbappé is second highest goalscorer for France in World Cup history with seven goals. He trails Just Fontaine by six goals
- Poland defeated France 3-2 in the match for third-place in 1982 in the only previous World Cup meeting between these two nations
- This is Poland’s first match in the knockout rounds of the FIFA World Cup since a 4-0 defeat against Brazil in the round of 16 in 1986
- Poland have lost their last three World Cup matches against European nations, since a 1-0 victory against Portugal in the group stage in 1986
- Poland’s last victory in a World Cup knockout round match was their 3-2 victory against France in the third-place match in 1982
- Poland have failed to score in eight of their last 11 World Cup matches against European nations
When considering that Poland boasts arguably the goalkeeper of the tournament so far in Wojciech Szczesny and a proven goalscorer in Lewandowski, if France do not perform at a high level here, then they will find themselves dumped out of the World Cup. However, this side under Didier Deschamps knows how to win when it matters most and expects to beat anyone with the brilliant Mbappe within their ranks. The all-round strength of France across the pitch should see them have too much Poland and ultimately progress through to the quarter-finals.
TIP: FRANCE TO WIN