2019-20 Big Bash League – Sydney Sixers vs Sydney Thunder Preview & Prediction
When is Sydney Sixers vs Sydney Thunder taking place? Saturday 28th December, 2019 – 08:10 (UK)
Where is Sydney Sixers vs Sydney Thunder taking place? Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
What is the expected weather for Sydney Sixers vs Sydney Thunder? 26c with cloud but no rain forecast
What television channel is Sydney Sixers vs Sydney Thunder on in the UK? BT Sport have the rights to BBL09 matches so it is worth checking their schedule
Where can I stream Sydney Sixers vs Sydney Thunder in the UK? If televised, BT Sport subscribers will be able to stream the match live via the BT Sport website & app
Where can I get tickets for Sydney Sixers vs Sydney Thunder? Visit the official BBL website for ticket information
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Sydney Sixers beat Sydney Thunder by 9 wickets
THE TEAM NEWS
- After two consecutive defeats, Sydney Sixers bounced back in style on Boxing Day as they made the long trip to Perth and came away with an excellent 48-run win as their bowling attack proved to hot for the Scorchers to handle.
- Jackson Bird came in for his Sixers’ debut in that match and took 3/33 in four fantastic overs while Sean Abbott and Tom Curran backed him up to bowl the Scorchers out for just 126 after the Sixers had posted 174/7 thanks to Curran’s unbeaten 43 from 21 balls, which gave them a late boost.
- They make a couple of changes to their squad for this match as spinner Steve O’Keefe and paceman Henry Thornton return to the 13-man group in place of Hayden Kerr and Mickey Edwards, and O’Keefe will likely come into the eleven which is a boost to an already strong bowling unit.
- Sydney Thunder come into the Sydney Smash as one of just two teams that remain unbeaten in BBL|09 and they were strong favourites to win their last game against Adelaide Strikers - the other unbeaten side – until the smoke from nearby bush fires drifted into the stadium in Canberra and forced an abandonment.
- The top three in the batting line-up continues to look formidable and even when Khawaja was out for a duck last time out, Ferguson and Hales look in great touch and that trio will be key to their success against their city rivals.
- Chris Morris showed just how important he can be with the ball taking 2/31 from his first match of the BBL|09 campaign and the South African all-rounder will be a vital addition for them in a line-up that is likely to be unchanged from that abandoned game against the Strikers a week ago.
This Sydney Smash promises to be one of the best in recent years with both of these teams looking capable of challenging at the business end of this tournament. The Thunder have arguably looked the more impressive of the two teams so far, although there are question marks about their middle order and their bowling attack is arguably not as good as the Sixers. The Sixers do not possess the star power that the Thunder have at the top of their batting order, but they have greater depth, and that could be what sees them edge a close-fought game.