Where is Gennady Golovkin vs Sergiy Derevyanchenko taking place? Madison Square Garden, New York
When is Gennady Golovkin vs Sergiy Derevyanchenko and what time does it start? Sunday 6th October, 2019 – 04:00 approx (UK)
What TV channel is Gennady Golovkin vs Sergiy Derevyanchenko? Sky Sports Action
Where can I stream Gennady Golovkin vs Sergiy Derevyanchenko? In the UK, Sky Sports subscribers will be able to stream the fight live on Sky Go / In the US, the fight will be available to stream via the DAZN website and app
Are tickets still available for Gennady Golovkin vs Sergiy Derevyanchenko?
- Golovkin fights for the vacant IBO and the IBF title after vacating it due to the postponement of his rematch with Canelo Alvarez which led to him failing to agree a fight with the mandatory challenger at the time – Sergiy Derevyanchenko.
- Golovkin is coming off a vintage performance by knocking out Steve Rolls in the fourth round. This was after suffering the first loss of his career to Canelo Alvarez. This was a rematch, with the first fight ending in a controversial draw with many thinking the decision in the rematch could have fallen to Golovkin too.
- Golovkin is hungry for a third fight with Canelo but he cannot afford to look past Derevyanchenko who is desperate to get his hands on those belts in the biggest fight of his career.
- This will be Derevyanchenko’s second title fight after fighting Daniel Jacobs for the IBF title Golovkin had to vacate. Jacobs handed the Ukrainian his first professional loss in a close split decision.
- Derevyanchenko responded to this loss with a well-earned unanimous decision win over the German, Jack Culcay back in April of this year.
- 33-year-old Derevyanchenko has enjoyed a packed and successful amateur career and just before he turned pro, he won 23 out of his 24 fights in the World Series of Boxing.
Both their fights with Jacobs were close but Golovkin earned a unanimous decision where Derevyanchenko lost a split decision. If Golovkin fights carelessly and tries to find a quick knockout, Derevyanchenko can capitalize and has the technique to put Golovkin in trouble. However, Golovkin has too much class to make that kind of mistake, especially if he wants that third fight with Canelo. The fight will be tight to begin with but once Golovkin settles he will pile on the pressure and output, with his power potentially earning a late knockout.
Prediction: Golovkin via KO/TKO