2019 Shanghai Masters – Fabio Fognini vs Karen Khachanov Preview & Prediction
Where is Fabio Fognini vs Karen Khachanov taking place? Qizhong Forest Sports City Arena, Shanghai, China
When is Fabio Fognini vs Karen Khachanov on and what time does it start? Thursday 10th October, 2019 - not before 05:30 (UK)
What is the expected weather for Fabio Fognini vs Karen Khachanov? Sunny, 26c
What channel is Fabio Fognini vs Karen Khachanov on? This match will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Fabio Fognini vs Karen Khachanov? Amazon Prime subscribers can stream the match live via their platform
Where can I get tickets for Fabio Fognini vs Karen Khachanov? http://en.shanghairolexmasters.com/
Last meeting: Karen Khachanov beat Fabio Fognini 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
- Fabio Fognini won a tight and tetchy three-set encounter with the resurgent Andy Murray that took a deciding tie-break to separate the two.
- Italian world number 12 Fognini served nine aces but made a staggering 12 double faults in his match with Murray, where he also won less receiving points, less games and less points overall.
- The 32-year-old gets the opportunity for immediate revenge over Karen Khachanov, who beat him in the quarter-finals at the China Open last week in three sets.
- Russian number two Karen Khachanov won a routine straight-sets encounter with young American Taylor Fritz in his first match at the Shanghai Masters, having received a bye to the second round.
- The 23-year-old reached his second semi-finals in five tournaments last week in a loss to the eventual China Open winner Dominic Thiem, after losing in the last four of the Rogers Cup to compatriot Daniil Medvedev in August.
- Stefanos Tsitsipas has ended the world number nine’s two campaigns at the Shanghai Masters so far, in 2017 and 2018, but he has reached the round of 16 for the first time here.
This should be an excellent match between two hard-hitting players, and after the angsty scenes with Andy Murray in the last round, Fabio Fognini’s temper could be exploited by Khachanov, who is an altogether more relaxed character than the Italian. However, Fognini played his best tennis when he felt persecuted, so the Russian might do better to leave him to his own devices and hope for a meltdown. Three of Fognini’s last five matches on tour have gone to a decider, and for want of a difficult result to call, this match should go the same way.