Croatia vs Morocco – Third Place Play-Off – Preview & Prediction | 2022 FIFA World Cup
When is Croatia vs Morocco on and what time does it start? Croatia vs Morocco will take place on Saturday 17th December, 2022 – 15:00 (UK)
Where is Croatia vs Morocco taking place? Croatia vs Morocco will take place at Khalifa International Stadium in Doha, Qatar
Where can I get tickets for Croatia vs Morocco? Visit this link for the latest ticket information for Croatia vs Morocco
What channel is Croatia vs Morocco on in the UK? Croatia vs Morocco will be televised live on BBC / Croatia vs Morocco will be televised live on ITV
Where can I stream Croatia vs Morocco in the UK? Croatia vs Morocco can be streamed live on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website & app / Croatia vs Morocco can be streamed live on the ITV Hub
- Croatia could not replicate their achievement of the 2018 FIFA World Cup as this time round they were eliminated at the semi-final stage, falling to a comprehensive 3-0 defeat at the hands of Argentina.
- Right-back Josip Juranovic will not play in this third-place play-off, which will be the final FIFA World Cup game of timeless midfielder Luka Modric’s illustrious international career.
- The first African nation to reach the FIFA World Cup semi-finals, Morocco’s magical tournament was ended by reigning champions France, but they still have an opportunity to make more history by securing a third place finish here.
- Defender Romain Saiss started against France, but an injury which has plagued him throughout the knockout stage forced him to concede defeat and be taken off in the first-half, so he is expected to be on the sidelines here alongside Amine Harit.
THE TEAM NEWS
PREDICTED XI (4-3-3): Livakovic; Sosa, Lovren, Gvardiol, Barisic; Modric, Pasalic, Kovacic; Orsic, Kramaric, Perisic
UNAVAILABLE: Juranovic (Injured)
QUESTIONABLE: Brozovic (Injured)
PREDICTED XI (4-3-3): Bounou; Hakimi, Dari, Yamiq, Mazraoui; Ounahi, Amrabat, Amallah; Ziyech, En-Nesyri, Boufal
UNAVAILABLE: Harit (Injured), Saiss (Injured)
QUESTIONABLE: Aguerd (Fitness)
- Croatia and Morocco are meeting for the second time at Qatar 2022 having previously drawn 0-0 in the opening round of group stage matches
- Croatia are unbeaten in their previous three FIFA World Cup matches against African nations (W2 D1)
- Croatia have not conceded a goal in their previous three FIFA World Cup matches against African nations
- Croatia’s previous appearance in the play-off for third place in a FIFA World Cup final competition was in 1998 when they defeated the Netherlands 2-1 to claim third place in their debut appearance at the finals
- Excluding penalty shoot-outs, Croatia have won only two of their last ten FIFA World Cup matches (D6 L2)
- Croatia have lost only two of their last 22 international matches (W12 D8)
- Croatia have not kept a clean sheet in their last nine FIFA World Cup knockout stage matches
- A European nation has finished third at each of the last ten FIFA World Cup final competitions. The last non-European team to finish third was Brazil in 1978
- There has never been a penalty shoot-out in the play-off for third place in a FIFA World Cup final competition
- Victory for Morocco would see them record best finish of a non-European or South American nation in the FIFA World Cup since 1930 when USA finished third (note: there was no match for third place in 1930, USA finished third via their overall record at the 1930 finals)
- Morocco are the first African nation to finish in the top four in a FIFA World Cup final tournament and are the first non-European or South American nation to do so since Korea Republic in 2002
- Morocco’s defeat against France in the semi-finals is their only loss in their last seven FIFA World Cup matches (W3 D3)
- Morocco’s defeat against France in the semi-finals is their only loss in their last 11 international matches (W7 D3)
- Hakim Ziyech and Achraf Hakimi are set to become the first Moroccan players to reach ten FIFA World Cup appearances
These two sides met in the group stage, playing out a turgid 0-0 draw in what was an extremely cagey affair, the type you’d perhaps expect in the opening round of the tournament. This encounter should prove slightly more open, although both will no doubt take this match extremely seriously with Morocco especially looking to become the first African nation to finish third at a FIFA World Cup. However, the strongpoint of both Croatia and Morocco comes in the shape of their respective backlines and solid shape off the ball. It’s hard to see the floodgates opening for either nation here, so back under 2.5 goals to be scored regardless of who ultimately secures the third place finish.
TIP: UNDER 2.5 GOALS