Portugal vs Ghana – Group Stage – Preview & Prediction | 2022 FIFA World Cup
When is Portugal vs Ghana on and what time does it start? Portugal vs Ghana will take place on Thursday 24th November, 2022 – 16:00 (UK)
Where is Portugal vs Ghana taking place? Portugal vs Ghana will take place at Stadium 974 in Doha, Qatar
Where can I get tickets for Portugal vs Ghana? Visit this link for the latest ticket information for Portugal vs Ghana
What channel is Portugal vs Ghana on in the UK? Portugal vs Ghana will be televised live on ITV
Where can I stream Portugal vs Ghana in the UK? Portugal vs Ghana can be streamed live on the ITV Hub
- Portugal have been inconsistent of late and come into this on the back of a five-game W-L sequence but they will be confident of getting their 2022 FIFA World Cup campaign off to a strong start as they take on Ghana.
- The Portuguese will be hoping to put an underwhelming 2018 tournament behind them with them managing to win just one game before being dumped out by Uruguay and they will hope to produce the goods here in what is likely to be Cristiano Ronaldo’s final FWC.
- Ghana failed to qualify for the previous FWC and will be hoping to make an impact this time around but they have failed to win any of their last seven matches at the tournament during the 90 minutes.
- The Ghanaians boast quality across the field with boss Otto Addo facing several selection dilemmas but if they are to perform well in this tournament, impressive young winger Kamaldeen Sulemana could prove to be the key man.
THE TEAM NEWS
PREDICTED XI (4-2-3-1): Costa; Cancelo, Dias, Pepe, Guerreiro; Neves, Carvalho; B. Silva, Fernandes, Felix; Ronaldo
PREDICTED XI (4-2-3-1): Ati-Zigi; Odoi, Djiku, Salisu, Lamptey; Partey, Samed; Sulemana, Kudus, J. Ayew; Williams
THE KEY STATS
- Portugal won the only previous World Cup match between these two nations. Cristiano Ronaldo scored a late winning goal in a 2-1 victory in the 2014 group stage
- Portugal have won their opening match in just one of their last five World Cup appearances (D2 L2)
- Portugal have lost only one of their last 12 World Cup group stage matches (W6 D5)
- Excluding penalty shoot-outs, Portugal have won only three of their last 14 World Cup matches (D6 L5)
- Portugal need just one goal to reach the landmark of 50 goals scored at the World Cup
- Portugal have won three and drawn one of their last four World Cup matches against African opposition
- Portugal have kept only one clean sheet in their last eight World Cup matches
- Cristiano Ronaldo is featuring for a record-equalling fifth time at the World Cup, he is the first Portuguese player to reach this total. Ronaldo is one of four players to reach this number at Qatar 2022. Overall, eight players have now achieved the feat
- Ghana’s appearance at Qatar 2022 means they have qualified for four out of five World Cups since making their final tournament debut in 2006
- Ghana faced Portugal in their most recent World Cup match. They lost 2-1 against the European nation in the final game of the 2014 group stage
- Ghana have won only one of their last seven World Cup matches (D3 L3)
- Ghana have only failed to score in two of their last 11 World Cup matches
- Ghana have kept only two clean sheets in their previous 12 World Cup matches
- Andre Ayew (2010 and 2014) and Jordan Ayew (2014) are the only players in the Ghana squad with previous World Cup experience
This looks like a really good contest on paper with plenty of attacking talent set to take to the pitch. Portugal will hope the drama caused by Cristiano Ronaldo’s high-profile departure from Manchester United does not take away from this opening matchup as they look to make a strong start after a disappointing 2018 campaign. For Ghana, they arrive on a good run of form but have not won any of their last seven FWC matches during regular time so they will need to stop the rot. Both teams are likely to throw plenty forward and with goalmouth action set to be frequent, it would not be a surprise if both teams were able to find the back of the net.
TIP: BOTH TEAMS TO SCORE