2020 Lanka Premier League – Colombo Kings vs Kandy Tuskers Preview & Prediction
When is Colombo Kings vs Kandy Tuskers taking place? Thursday 26th November, 2020 – 14:00 (UK)
Where is Colombo Kings vs Kandy Tuskers taking place? MRIC Stadium, Hambantota, Sri Lanka
Where can I get tickets for Colombo Kings vs Kandy Tuskers? No tickets are available as this tournament is taking place without spectators
What channel is Colombo Kings vs Kandy Tuskers on? This match will be televised live on Sky Sports Cricket
Where can I stream Colombo Kings vs Kandy Tuskers? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match live via the Sky Go app
- Colombo Kings will be captained by their icon player and Sri Lankan all-rounder Angelo Mathews under the coaching stewardship of Herschelle Gibbs. Gibbs is the third person to be named as coach of Colombo after the withdrawals of Dav Whatmore and Kabir Ali.
- The South African influence on the side with Gibbs and Faf Du Plessis has been diminished somewhat as Du Plessis is unavailable for the tournament. However, their marquee overseas player Andre Russell should be available if he continues to test negative for coronavirus after a scare.
- Kings’ will rely heavily on a strong domestic based selection of players. The aforementioned Mathews alongside Isuru Udana, Dinesh Chandimal, Dushmantha Chameera and Amila Aponso should form the core of any potentially successful Colombo side.
- The absence of overseas marquee foreign player Chris Gayle due to a ‘commercial misunderstanding’ is a frustrating setback that the Kandy Tuskers will have to overcome as they head into the inaugural Lanka Premier League. Their opening batting will probably rely on Priyamal Perera and Irfan Pathan but the lack of any out and out openers, like Gayle, could be a weakness.
- Any lack of depth in the opening department is completely forgotten about throughout an extremely talented middle-order. Kusal Mendis and captain Kusal Perera at three and four with Zimbabwe star Brendan Taylor and the ambidextrous bowler who considers himself to be a batting all-rounder Kamindu Mendis offer the Tuskers a deep line-up.
- The potential key to success for Kandy lies in the variety of bowling options. Led by the legendary Dale Steyn and quick Nuwan Pradeep alongside Vishwa Fernando; they should have enough pace bowling stock to cover the withdrawals of Liam Plunkett, Sohail Tanvir and Wahab Riaz. The emphasis on spin in T20 remains pivotal and, therefore, the impressive yet mercurial left-arm off-spin of Lasith Embuldeniya could be key.
This opening day fixture features two sides with a rich middle-order for batting. However, it should be the bowling variety of the Kandy Tuskers that offers more potency as well as control and it is an attack that will need to perform well against the destructive Andre Russell. Kandy Tuskers are the one of the tournament favourites and barring a potential inadequacy at the very top of the order, they should have the greater quality and depth to put an early marker down against the Colombo Kings.