AT A GLANCE
When? Thursday 9th
August, 18:30 (UK)
Where? The Kia Oval
Weather? 19-20c with a 20-30% chance of rain during the match
What channel is it on? Surrey vs Sussex Sharks will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream the match? N/A
Are tickets still available? https://www.ecb.co.uk/tickets/domestic
All-time meetings: Surrey W15, Sussex Sharks W12, No Result 2
THE TEAM NEWS
Coach: Michael Di Venuto
Captain: Jade Dernbach
- Surrey have leaped up the South Group standings in recent weeks but they face a direct competitor for those top four places in Sussex and they need to win to make it four wins from their last five t20 Blast matches.
- They are dealt a huge blow however as star Aussie opener Aaron Finch is unavailable due to a family bereavement and he has returned home while fellow revelation Ollie Pope has been called up into the England team and he misses out too which weakens their batting notably.
- Mark Stoneman returns to the 15-man squad for the first time in over a month while talented 18-year-old wicket keeper Jamie Smith also joins the squad for this key match.
Coach: Jason Gillespie
Captain: Luke Wright
- Sussex are just outside the play-off places but they will go back on their travels and know that a win against a direct rival like Surrey would go a long way to edging them into the top four.
- Their away form has been excellent having won four of their five on their travels with one abandonment, so they will take confidence from that and they have a strong squad at their disposal once again too.
- The bowling attack remains formidable and a major strength of theirs which will be interesting against this understrength Surrey batting line-up, but they do need their top order to contribute more with the bat.
Surrey have been playing some phenomenal cricket in recent weeks with Finch and Roy in stunning form with the bat. That opening partnership is broken up by Finch’s absence while Pope’s unavailability will weaken the middle order too. Against Sussex’s outstanding bowling attack, that is not ideal and Sussex also have an excellent record on their travels. Their form has been inconsistent but with big motivation in this key match, their settled line-up and quality bowling attack can just edge this.