The statistical quirk that could give Chelsea hope of Champions League glory
Chelsea undoubtedly have a sizeable task ahead of them if they are to progress to the Champions League quarter-finals, as Frank Lampard's men face a two-legged tie against European heavyweights Bayern Munich. However, we've unearthed some historical statistics that may give Blues fans some belief.
This boils down to the Bundesliga side's tendency to be eliminated by the eventual champions in European competition. Here are the cold hard facts:
Note that UEFA club competitions is inclusive of the European Cup/Champions League, UEFA Cup/Europa League and the Cup Winners' Cup. It does not include the UEFA Super Cup.
UEFA CLUB COMPETITIONS (ALL-TIME)
- Prior to 2019-20, Bayern have played a total of 49 seasons in UEFA club competitions.
- They have won seven tournaments and have been eliminated by the eventual champions on 27 occasions (28 if the 2002-03 season is taken into account as they exited the Champions League in the first group stage and Milan, who topped their group, went on to lift the trophy that season).
UEFA CLUB COMPETITIONS (SEMI-FINALS)
- Prior to 2019-20, Bayern have been defeated in 15 European semi-finals.
- They lost to the eventual champions 14 times, with only one occasion (2015-16 - Atletico) seeing them lose to a team who did not go on to win the tournament.
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE ONLY
- Prior to 2019-20, Bayern have competed in the UEFA Champions League on 22 occasions.
- They have won the tournament twice and were eliminated by the eventual champions on 13 other occasions (again, this number could be increased to 14 if including the 2002-03 season).
- From 2006-07 to the end of 2018-19, Bayern have competed in 13 seasons in UEFA club competitions (12 in the Champions League and one in the UEFA Cup).
- In this time, they have won one Champions League title and were eliminated by the eventual champions on 10 occasions.
- Bayern have been eliminated by the eventual Champions League winners in five out of the last six seasons.
- 18 different clubs have gone on to win a UEFA club competition after eliminating Bayern from the tournament.
- 11 different clubs defeated Bayern in a European semi-final and went on to win the final.
- In six seasons between 1979-80 and 1984-85, Bayern were eliminated by the eventual champions on each occasion (twice in each of the UEFA competitions: European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners’ Cup).
- In Bayern’s first eight seasons in UEFA club competitions, they won four titles and lost to the eventual champions on three occasions.
Many of course will point to this being nothing more than curious coincidence, but if Chelsea do in fact defeat Bayern in the round of 16 and then go on to lift the Champions League trophy, you heard it here first!