Where is Gael Monfils vs Joao Sousa taking place? Rotterdam Ahoy
When is Gael Monfils vs Joao Sousa on and what time does it start? Wednesday 12th February, 2020 – TBC (UK)
What channel is Gael Monfils vs Joao Sousa on? This match will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I get tickets for Gael Monfils vs Joao Sousa? Click here to purchase tickets for the 2020 Rotterdam Open
Who won the last meeting between Gael Monfils vs Joao Sousa? Gael Monfils beat Joao Sousa 6-3, 6-3
- 33-year-old Gael Monfils won his ninth career ATP title as the first seed at the Montpellier Open last week by beating Canada’s Vasek Pospisil in straight sets.
- The Frenchman moved up to world number 9 following that result and now returns to the scene of his previous ATP title as the reigning champion here in Rotterdam.
- Monfils leads the head-to-head record with Joao Sousa 3-1, with all four matches played on hard courts, though the pair have not met since the Rogers Cup in 2016.
- Portugal’s Joao Sousa has yet to win a match this year on tour after losing in the opening rounds of the ASB Classic in Auckland, the Australian Open and the Montpellier Open – all to lower-ranked opposition.
- In fact, Sousa is yet to win a set in 2020 and that losing streak stretches back to October of last year where he lost to Vasek Posipisil, runner-up to Monfils last week, at the Shanghai Masters.
- 30-year-old Sousa has never won a match at the Rotterdam Open, with this his fourth attempt, but he has been handed some tough draws with Monfils his third top 20 player our of four faced.
This will be a difficult step towards what should be a strong defence of his title by Gael Monfils as he has to refocus himself quickly following his win in Montpellier on Sunday. Joao Sousa has not won a match in over four months and should be easy pickings for the Frenchman but we so often see title-winning players drop the ball on their very next tournament with so little time for turnaround. Monfils is certainly favourite to win this match, but it could be a dodgy one.