2020 New York Open – Steve Johnson vs Tennys Sandgren Preview & Prediction
Where is Steve Johnson vs Tennys Sandgren taking place? Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, New York
When is Steve Johnson vs Tennys Sandgren on and what time does it start? Tuesday 11th February, 2020 – not before 00:30 (UK)
What channel is Steve Johnson vs Tennys Sandgren on? This match will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Steve Johnson vs Tennys Sandgren in the UK? Tennis TV subscribers may also be able to stream the match
Where can I get tickets for Steve Johnson vs Tennys Sandgren? Click here to purchase tickets for the 2020 New York Open
Who won the last meeting between Steve Johnson vs Tennys Sandgren? Steve Johnson beat Tennys Sandgren 7-6, 2-6, 6-4
- 30-year-old Steve Johnson was unfortunate enough to meet Roger Federer in the first round of the Australian Open either side of some good showings on the Challenger circuit.
- The world number 75 has failed to make it past the first round of this tournament since its move to New York but he previously reached the quarter finals in Memphis and San Jose.
- Johnson won the only previous tour-level encounter with Tennys Sandgren in the final of the 2018 Houston Open with a deciding set needed in what was a very close match.
- Tennys Sandgren reached his best Grand Slam showing of a quarter-final at the Australian Open for a second time before coming unstuck to a clutch Roger Federer performance over five gruelling sets.
- Sandgren had entered the first Grand Slam of the year as world number 100 but his heroic campaign in Melbourne, including beating the two top 20 Italians Matteo Berrettini and Fabio Fognini, has almost halved his rank to 53rd.
- 28-year-old Sandgren could not get past then world number 111 Paolo Lorenzi in the first round of last year’s New York Open but he can do plenty more here if he enters with a clear head.
Both of these players’ last ATP tour-level matches came against Roger Federer at the Australian Open, but while Steve Johnson suffered a regulatory straight-sets defeat in the first round, Tennys Sandgren put in likely the best performance of his career in the quarter-finals. Despite losing the fifth and deciding set having lost seven match points over the course of the match, Sandgren seemed to reach a higher plain at the Australian Open and can build on that this season. He can win this opening tie in New York, as long as he has cast out the bittersweet feelings of his previous match.