Where is Elise Mertens vs Simona Halep taking place? Melbourne Park, Melbourne
When is Elise Mertens vs Simona Halep on and what time does it start? Monday 27th January, 2020 – not before 00:00 (UK)
What is the expected weather for Elise Mertens vs Simona Halep? Cloudy, 19c
What channel is Elise Mertens vs Simona Halep on? The 2020 Australian Open will be televised on Eurosport so it is worth checking their schedule for this specific match
Where can I stream Elise Mertens vs Simona Halep in the UK? Sky customers can stream this match on the Sky Go app. Alternatively, the match can be streamed to subscribers of Eurosport Player, either on the official website or as an add-on to an Amazon Prime subscription
Where can I get tickets for Elise Mertens vs Simona Halep? Click here to reach the official 2020 Australian Open ticket selection
Who won the last meeting between Elise Mertens and Simona Halep? Elise Mertens beat Simona Halep 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Elise Mertens dropped her first set in the third-round clash with American CiCi Bellis but she responded in style by winning the final set 6-0 to move into the fourth round to set up this clash with Simona Halep.
- The 16th-seed served 12 aces in the win over Bellis and she registered an impressive 79% first serve win percentage and a strong 75% on her second serve which will be key if she is to overcome Halep.
- Mertens has only beaten Halep once in their three previous meetings but that was the only match they have played on a hard court and came in a final in Doha last year so she will take confidence from that.
- Simona Halep has cantered into the fourth round so far having beaten Jennifer Brady, Harriet Dart and Julia Putintseva all of which were comfortable straight-set victories for the Romanian.
- The 4th seed is the second highest seed remaining in the tournament after 2nd seed Karolina Pliskova and 3rd seed Naomi Osaka were both eliminated so this represents a golden chance for Halep.
- Halep looks incredibly focused this year as this is one of two Grand Slams she has yet to win so after reaching the final in 2018, the Romanian will be desperate to go far this time around and overcome her toughest test so far in Mertens.
This match has all the potential to be one of the most entertaining in the fourth round at the Australian Open between Mertens and Halep. The Romanian edges the head-to-head between the two having beaten Mertens in two of their previous three matches but Mertens won the last match in three sets. There is every chance that this match will also go three sets but preference goes to Halep who is looking incredibly focused and close to her best.