2020 Australian Open – Daniil Medvedev vs Frances Tiafoe Preview & Prediction
Where is Daniil Medvedev vs Frances Tiafoe taking place? Melbourne Park, Melbourne
When is Daniil Medvedev vs Frances Tiafoe on and what time does it start? Tuesday 21st January, 2020 – TBC (UK)
What is the expected weather for Daniil Medvedev vs Frances Tiafoe? Light rain expected, 21c
What channel is Daniil Medvedev vs Frances Tiafoe on? The 2020 Australian Open will be televised on Eurosport so it is worth checking their schedule for this specific match
Where can I stream Daniil Medvedev vs Frances Tiafoe in the UK? Sky customers can stream this match on the Sky Go app. Alternatively, the match can be streamed to subscribers of Eurosport Player, either on the official website or as an add-on to an Amazon Prime subscription
Where can I get tickets for Daniil Medvedev vs Frances Tiafoe? Click here to reach the official 2020 Australian Open ticket selection
Who won the last meeting between Daniil Medvedev and Frances Tiafoe? Daniil Medvedev beat Frances Tiafoe 6-2, 7-5
- Daniil Medvedev could not extend his head-to-head record lead over Novak Djokovic at the ATP Cup last week as he lost to the Serb in three sets to see Serbia reach the finals.
- The Russian is seeded fourth at this Australian Open just a year on from his round of 16 exit to Novak Djokovic as world number 19 in what was an incredible year on tour.
- Medvedev was the victor in the only previous tour-level match against Frances Tiafoe at the Citi Open in Washington last year which was the first of six consecutive tournaments he made the final in.
- 2019 looked like it would be a breakthrough season for Frances Tiafoe when he reached the quarter-finals of the Australian Open last year where he lost to Rafael Nadal in straight sets.
- However, from then on he managed just a couple of tour-level quarter-finals as his form dropped, though he did reach the semi-finals of the Next Gen ATP Finals in Milan at the end of the season.
- 21-year-old Tiafoe is part of the USA’s next generation of talents alongside Taylor Fritz and Reilly Opelka and his wins over Kevin Anderson and Grigor Dimitrov on his way to the quarters here last year suggest he has real hard-court pedigree.
Daniil Medvedev has a real shot at his first Grand Slam title here as he is seeded fourth at the Australian Open but his attitude at the ATP Cup did not suggest he was in the best frame of mind so a tough early match against Frances Tiafoe will be a big test. The young American is not in the same form that saw him reach the quarter-finals here last year and it is a shame that he has met an elite player so soon, but the Russian should come through this unscathed.