2019 US Open – Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova Preview & Prediction
Where is Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova taking place? Flushing Meadows, New York
When is Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova on and what time does it start? Tuesday 27th August, 2019 - not before 00:00 (UK)
What is the expected weather for Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova? 21-23c with clear skies
What channel is Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova on? The US Open will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova? Amazon Prime have the rights to the US Open in the UK so it is worth checking their schedule for streaming times
Where can I get tickets for Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova? https://www.usopen.org/en_US/tickets/ticket_plans.html
Last meeting: Serena Williams beat Maria Sharapova 6-4, 6-1
- Serena Williams has not won a Grand Slam title since her Australian Open triumph in 2017 and is currently stuck on 23, one behind Margaret Court who holds the record for the most Grand Slam tournament singles titles.
- Williams will want to avoid a second successive season without claiming a Grand Slam to end a frustrating year on a high after failing to win a single WTA singles title from her limited time on the court.
- She faces what could be a tricky contest in her opening round match against old rival Maria Sharapova but she has had the beating of the Russian for a long time and has won 19 of their 21 completed matches.
- Maria Sharapova has a lot of work to do if she is to add to the US Open title to her name as she faces the very difficult task of facing long-term rival Serena Williams in the first round at Flushing Meadows.
- Sharapova has had a quiet year and has failed to impress with a record of 8-6 but did enjoy a decent run at the Australian Open at the start of the year when she was defeated by home favourite Ash Barty in the round of 16.
- 2004 was the last time that Sharapova defeated Williams in a completed match with the American pulling out of their last contest in the French Open at Roland-Garros in 2018 and the Russian is 1-12 on hard courts against Serena.
Serena Williams will have high hopes of earning her 24th Grand Slam title to bring her level with Margaret Court at the top of the all-time rankings. She has been stuck on 23 wins since 2017 and will want to avoid a second successive season without a slam which is unheard of considering that her only year in the last 13 without a major came in 2011 before this current drought. She will not want to lose to her bitter rival Maria Sharapova and should be too good for the Russian, as has proven to be the case throughout their careers.