When is Roger Federer vs Sumit Nagal on and what time does it start? Tuesday 27th August, 2019 – not before 01:15 (UK)
Where is Roger Federer vs Sumit Nagal taking place? Flushing Meadows, New York
What is the expected weather for Roger Federer vs Sumit Nagal? Cloudy, 31c
What channel is Roger Federer vs Sumit Nagal on? The US Open will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Roger Federer vs Sumit Nagal? Amazon Prime have the rights to the US Open in the UK so it is worth checking their schedule for streaming times
Where can I get tickets for Roger Federer vs Sumit Nagal? https://www.usopen.org/en_US/tickets/ticket_plans.html
Last meeting: N/A
- Five-time US Open champion Roger Federer comes into the this tournament as the third seed behind Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic and with those two rapidly closing in on his all-time Grand Slam record, he knows that every major now is crucial if he is to keep them at a distance.
- Federer's last title at Flushing Meadows came all the way back in 2008 which was his fifth consecutive US Open crown at the time but he has failed to progress beyond the quarter-finals since 2015, where he lost to Djokovic in the final.
- The 20-time Grand Slam champion opted to only play Cincinnati in the warm-up to the final major of the year and that resulted in a round of 16 defeat to Russian youngster Andrey Rublev but the Swiss maestro will still be seen as one of the leading contenders for this event.
- World number 190 Sumit Nagal makes his Grand Slam bow after coming through three qualifying matches and has been thrust into the spotlight on account of being drawn against the legendary Federer.
- The 22-year-old Indian player competes mainly on the Challenger Tour so facing Federer on Arthur Ashe will be by far the biggest moment of his career, and judging by his comments coming into this match in which he described the Swiss as "just too good", he is likely to go out and enjoy the experience rather than harbour any hopes of an upset.
- Nagal is perhaps best known for lifting the 2015 Wimbledon boys' double title whilst playing alongside Vietnamese partner Ly Hoang Nam.
With every Grand Slam that goes by, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic edge closer to Federer's haul of 20 majors and, at the age of 38, there can't be many more opportunities for Federer to extend his tally. That defeat to Djokovic in the Wimbledon final - which by all accounts he should have won - will still be fresh in Federer's mind and he will be determined to make amends for that and launch an assault on the US Open title.
Federer's first-round opponent is Indian qualifier Nagal who will relish this opportunity to face the five-time champion on a show court, and although he will likely play with freedom, he is unlikely to trouble Federer in any aspect of the game so we should witness a comfortable straight-sets victory for the Swiss as he gets his campaign underway.