When is Jelena Ostapenko vs Alison Riske on and what time does it start? Thursday 29th August, 2019 – not before 19:15 (UK)
Where is Jelena Ostapenko vs Alison Riske taking place? Flushing Meadows, New York
What is the expected weather for Jelena Ostapenko vs Alison Riske? Partly cloudy, 27c
What channel is Jelena Ostapenko vs Alison Riske on? The US Open will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Jelena Ostapenko vs Alison Riske? Amazon Prime have the rights to the US Open in the UK so it is worth checking their schedule for streaming times
Where can I get tickets for Jelena Ostapenko vs Alison Riske? https://www.usopen.org/en_US/tickets/ticket_plans.html
Last meeting: N/A
- Jelena Ostapenko put in an odd performance in her straight-sets first-round win over Aleksandra Krunic with a 74% first serve percentage but a massive 12 double faults.
- The Latvian world number 77 has reached as far as the third round in her two previous US Open campaigns and her semi-final at Wimbledon 2018 and Roland-Garros title win the year previous suggest the hard surface is her least suitable.
- At 22 years old, Ostapenko has already achieved a lot in the game but this is the first Grand Slam this year she has not exited at the first-round stage.
- Alison Riske beat former Grand Slam winner Garbine Muguruza in their first-round match after going a set down and faces Jelena Ostapenko for the first time in the second.
- Riske is having the best year of her career at 29 years old and produced her best Grand Slam showing in a quarter-final exit to Serena Williams at last month’s Wimbledon.
- The grass is world number 36 Riske’s favoured surface, as shown in her ‘s-Hertogenbosch title win in June this year, but she performed well at the Rogers Cup in her second-round loss to big-hitting Karolina Pliskova.
While Alison Riske may well be having the best year of her career at 29 years old, Jelena Ostapenko seems to be having her worst, and the Latvian could have done with a kinder draw here for some confidence. Riske is a robust and hard-working player whose patience pays out against the more erratic players on tour like Ostapenko, and the American should come through this match with the backing of the home crowd.