When is Gael Monfils vs Pablo Andujar on and what time does it start? Monday 2nd September, 2019 – 22:00 (UK)
Where is Gael Monfils vs Pablo Andujar taking place? Flushing Meadows, New York
What is the expected weather for Gael Monfils vs Pablo Andujar? Chance of thunderstorms, 26c
What channel is Gael Monfils vs Pablo Andujar on? The US Open will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Gael Monfils vs Pablo Andujar? Amazon Prime have the rights to the US Open in the UK so it is worth checking their schedule for streaming times
Where can I get tickets for Gael Monfils vs Pablo Andujar? https://www.usopen.org/en_US/tickets/ticket_plans.html
Last meeting: Gael Monfils beat Pablo Andujar 7-5, 6-4
- Gael Monfils dropped the first set of his US Open campaign to Canada’s Denis Shapovalov in the third round but took the next two and then the deciding set to reach the round of 16.
- 32-year-old Monfils has not lost at this stage of the copetition since 2009 to Rafael Nadal and has since reached three quarter-finals at Flushing Meadows.
- The Frenchman has a strong 3-0 head-to-head record over Pablo Andujar on paper but they last met in 2013 and both players are now in the twilight of their careers.
- World number 70 Pablo Andujar is the surprise admission to the round of 16 at the US Open after his second straight-sets win of the campaign over Alexander Bublik in the third round.
- The 33-year-old Spaniard was considering retirement after a series of surgeries on his elbow but has won three Challenger events on his comeback this year and went on two deep runs post-Wimbledon in Switzerland and Austria.
- Andujar has not played at Flushing Meadows since 2015 and had previously never reached the third round until this campaign, with momentum on his side.
Pablo Andujar has been underestimated, perhaps understandably, so far at this tournament but a round of 16 match should see him taken seriously by Gael Monfils. The Frenchman has never lost to Andujar in three meetings but six years have passed since then and this record loses agency with the Spaniard rising an unlikely wave of form here. However, Monfils’ five-set victory over Denis Shapovalov represents a resolve that his body so often fails to give him, and he should spoil Andujar’s party here.