When is Elina Svitolina vs Serena Williams on and what time does it start? Friday 6th September, 2019 – not before 00:00 (UK)
Where is Elina Svitolina vs Serena Williams taking place? Flushing Meadows, New York
What is the expected weather for Elina Svitolina vs Serena Williams? Cloudy, 21c
What channel is Elina Svitolina vs Serena Williams on? The US Open will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Elina Svitolina vs Serena Williams? Amazon Prime have the rights to the US Open in the UK so it is worth checking their schedule for streaming times
Where can I get tickets for Elina Svitolina vs Serena Williams? https://www.usopen.org/en_US/tickets/ticket_plans.html
Last meeting: Elina Svitolina beat Serena Williams 6-4, 6-3
- Elina Svitolina was patient in her straight-sets victory over Johanna Konta in the quarter-finals at the US Open and has reached the semi-finals here for the first time.
- At fifth, Svitolina is the highest seed remaining in the draw but faces the unofficial first seed and six-time former champion Serena Williams for a sixth time in her career.
- 24-year-old Ukrainian number one Svitolina has been in threatening form all season and reached the quarter-finals at the Australian Open, while this is her second successive Grand Slam semi-final after her loss to the eventual champion Simona Halep at Wimbledon.
- Serena Williams completely dominated her quarter-final match with China’s Wang Qiang, conceding just the one game to the 18th seed to reach her 13th semi-final at Flushing Meadows.
- Williams will be glad of a low-impact match and now a few days rest until Friday’s semi-final, with her first serve needing some attention on the practice courts after producing just the one ace against Wang Qiang with a 62% first-serve in percentage.
- The 37-year-old leads a healthy 4-1 head-to-head record with Elina Svitolina, including a win in a semi-final on a hard court at Cincinnati in 2015 and a Grand Slam victory at the French Open a year later.
Elina Svitolina was the winner the last time she faced Serena Williams, at the 2016 Olympic Games, but the American has a healthy 80% win ratio over the Ukrainian and will have a higher percentage of the Arthur Ashe crowd on her side on Friday. Svitolina is probably Serena’s biggest test left in the draw, and this could play on the 37-year-old’s mind as she can occasionally freeze on the big points, with her desperation to win another slam often her biggest foe on court. Svitolina is yet to drop a set at the US Open, and she has every chance of beating the six-time US Open champion, but this might be one of those matches where Williams is pulled over the line by an adoring crowd.