2019 Shanghai Masters Final – Daniil Medvedev vs Alexander Zverev Preview & Prediction
Where is Daniil Medvedev vs Alexander Zverev taking place? Qizhong Forest Sports City Arena, Shanghai, China
When is Daniil Medvedev vs Alexander Zverev on and what time does it start? Sunday 13th October, 2019, 09:30 (UK)
What is the expected weather for Daniil Medvedev vs Alexander Zverev? Mostly cloudy, 24c
What channel is Daniil Medvedev vs Alexander Zverev on? This match will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Daniil Medvedev vs Alexander Zverev? Amazon Prime subscribers can stream the match live via their platform
Where can I get tickets for Daniil Medvedev vs Alexander Zverev? http://en.shanghairolexmasters.com/
Last meeting: Alexander Zverev beat Daniil Medvedev 6-3, 6-2
- Daniil Medvedev claimed his eighth consecutive straight-sets victory in his win over an in-form Stefanos Tsitsipas to reach the Shanghai Masters final.
- The 23-year-old Russian has now won a staggering 58 matches this season, more than most have played in total, and has reached his sixth consecutive tournament final dating back to the Citi Open in August.
- Only Nick Kyrgios, in that first final in Washington, and Rafael Nadal have beaten Medvedev since the start of July, where he lost to David Goffin at Wimbledon, and the world number four is on the most startling of upward trajectories.
- Alexander Zverev has improved with every match played at the Shanghai Masters and proved that in his commanding straight-sets victory over Matteo Berrettini in their semi-final, following a brilliant win over Roger Federer.
- 23-year-old German number one Zverev quelled the powerful Italian in a particularly impressive way, and faced no break points as well as just two aces from his opponent’s racket.
- Zverev leads an imposing 4-0 head-to-head record with Daniil Medvedev, all of which were played on hard courts, but the he has not faced the world number four since the Rogers Cup last year and Medvedev is a wholly different proposition now.
Early indications at this tournament looked like one of these two future Grand Slam stars would reach the final, but to have both make it will make for a superb spectacle. This is the final the tennis world didn’t know it needed, with Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer out at the quarter-final stage, as these players represent the best of a quickly improving group of young challengers to the top order. Medvedev in particular has won more matches than anybody, and reached his first Grand Slam final at the US Open, requiring Rafael Nadal to take the decider before eventually putting him down. Alexander Zverev’s journey is a little more gradual, but perhaps more expectant, and he looks to be back to his best just in time to defend his ATP Finals title. It would not be surprising to see a rematch in the final at London of this Shanghai Masters showdown.
Zverev has never lost to Medvedev in four previous attempts, and the German has dropped just the one set in those matches, but he has not faced this version of Daniil Medvedev who is without doubt the most in-form player on tour at this moment in time. The Russian ace is in his sixth consecutive final and can make it three titles from six here but Alexander Zverev looks more composed than we have seen for some time. This could come down to tiebreaks and just the one break point, but Medvedev has so many weapons at his disposal right now it is hard to see where his next defeat will come from.