Where is Andy Murray vs Matteo Berrettini taking place? National Tennis Centre, Beijing
When is Andy Murray vs Matteo Berrettini on and what time does it start? Tuesday 1st October, 2019, 06:00 (UK)
What is the expected weather for Andy Murray vs Matteo Berrettini? Partly cloudy, 30c
What channel is Andy Murray vs Matteo Berrettini on? This match will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Andy Murray vs Matteo Berrettini? Amazon Prime subscribers can stream the match live via their platform
Where can I get tickets for Andy Murray vs Matteo Berrettini? https://tickets.chinaopen.com/m/mTicket
Last meeting: N/A
- Andy Murray won his first tour-level match since his well-documented singles return when he beat Tennys Sandgren in the first round of the Zhuhai Open last week.
- Beating Sandgren, whom he lost to in his previous tour-level match at the Winston-Salem Open, was a massive milestone in his recovery, and he took the first set against an in-form Alex de Minaur before tiring in the second round.
- The 32-year-old is a former champion here in Beijing, beating Grigor Dimitrov in 2016 in what was his last appearance at this tournament.
- Matteo Berrettini lost out to tricky Belarusian qualifier Egor Gerasimov in the quarter-finals in St. Petersburg but of course before that he reached his first Grand Slam semi-finals at the US Open.
- Berrettini moved to 8th place in the Race to London, the ATP Finals, at the beginning of this week and has reached a career-high 13th in the ATP rankings at 23 years old.
- Berrettini has never faced Andy Murray before but lost to a fellow Brit in his first, and only, appearance at the China Open in a second-round loss to Kyle Edmund last year.
There are few players in the draw at the China Open more in-form than Matteo Berrettini and it is an enormous challenge for Andy Murray to mount, which he will relish. His victory over Tennys Sandgren last week was a milestone reached and he will be working overtime with his coaching team to improve his fitness for this match, but the young Italian is in his prime after a fantastic US Open campaign and represents a level above Sandgren. This match will benefit the long-term recovery of Murray greatly against a powerful and energetic opponent, but Berrettini should see the next round.