When is Japan vs Russia taking place? Friday 20th September, 2019 – 11:45 (UK)
Where is Japan vs Russia taking place? Tokoyo Stadium, Tokoyo
What is the expected weather for Japan vs Russia? 27c but rain could hit during the game
What television channel is Japan vs Russia on in the UK? This match will be televised live on ITV 1
Where can I stream Japan vs Russia? This match can be streamed via ITV Hub
Where can I get tickets for Japan vs Russia? https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/tickets
Last meeting: Russia 27-32 Japan
THE TEAM NEWS
- Japan will get the 2019 Rugby World Cup underway with a clash against Russia in Tokyo as the hosts attempt to progress out of the pools for the first time in their history and will hope they can continue the form they showed in the recent IRB Pacific Nations Cup.
- The Japanese will feel like they have been handed one of the best draws that they could have hoped for and are likely going to battle it out with Scotland for second place in Pool A with Ireland short-priced favourites to top the group.
- Japan will be looking to achieve third place in the pool at the very least which would secure their spot at the 2023 World Cup and skipper Michael Leitch will be the driving force behind their efforts at flanker.
- Russia will hope to take full advantage of their opportunity to appear in just their second Rugby World Cup after they qualified by virtue of Romania’s disqualification for fielding ineligible players during qualifying.
- The Russians have never won a game at the Rugby World Cup having lost all four of their games in New Zealand in 2011 and their recent form also leaves a lot to be desired with Italy putting them to the sword as they conceded 85 points in their warm-up game.
- Russia are likely to be reliant on 34-year-old fly-half Yuri Kushnarev if they are to have a successful tournament and his experience will be crucial to guiding his side around the field but he will need support from his teammates.
Japan shocked the world at the last Rugby World Cup when they pulled off one of the most incredible results of all-time. They defeated South Africa with a brilliant display but were unable to capitalise as they failed to advance to the knockout stages. They will hope for better luck in the tournament they are hosting and can get off to a good start against Russia with the Pacific Nations Cup champions able to build on the form they showed in that competition.