2019 Currie Cup - Free State Cheetahs vs Golden Lions Preview & Prediction
When is Free State Cheetahs vs Golden Lions taking place? Friday 2nd August, 19:15
Where is Free State Cheetahs vs Golden Lions taking place? Free State Stadium
What channel is Free State Cheetahs vs Golden Lions on? UK viewers can watch this match on Sky Sports Mix
Where can I stream Free State Cheetahs vs Golden Lions? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match via Sky Go
Where can I get tickets for Free State Cheetahs vs Golden Lions? http://www.fscheetahs.co.za/match-day
FREE STATE CHEETAHS
- Free State Cheetahs top the early Currie Cup standings on points difference thanks to two very dominant performances which has seen them rack up 111 points so far but this match against the Lions will be a big test for them.
- The Cheetahs have a long list of players who are unavailable for selection due to injury with William Small-Smith joining that list after picking up a knock and he will be replaced on the wing by Tapiwa Mafura who will make his Currie Cup debut.
- One bit of positive news for the Cheetahs is that they are able to name Springbok scrum-half Ruan Pienaar in the side and he will make his debut whilst Marnus van der Merwe has been promoted to the starting XV with Abongile Nonkontwana providing cover from the bench.
- Golden Lions made it two wins from two as they backed-up their one-point victory over the Pumas by edging out Western Province by just two points with the Lions needing to work hard for both of those wins.
- That win over Western Province was even more impressive considering the home side had built up a 14-point lead but the Lions fought back for a superb win to maintain their 100% start to the competition.
- The Lions have made just one change to their line-up from last week’s game with Wilhelm van der Sluys coming into the side at lock for Marvin Orie which means Rhyno Herbst lines up on the bench as cover for the second-row.
This should be an enthralling contest between two classy teams and both will think they are good enough to claim the win here. It will be another tough away game for the Lions but they dealt with the trip to Western Province so well last week and following two hard-fought wins, they will feel they have the character to see off anybody, although the Cheetahs will have other ideas. Their attacking shape has been brilliant in their two games so far and they should be able to come out on top again.