2019-20 European Rugby Champions Cup – Lyon vs Benetton Preview & Prediction
When is Lyon vs Benetton taking place? Saturday 7th December, 2019 – 13:00 (UK)
Where is Lyon vs Benetton taking place? Matmut Stadium de Gerland, Lyon
What is the expected weather for Lyon vs Benetton? 8c in mostly cloudy skies
What television channel is Lyon vs Benetton on? This match will be televised live on BT Sport
Where can I stream Lyon vs Benetton? BT Sport subscribers can stream the match live via the BT Sport website & app
Where can I get tickets for Lyon vs Benetton? Official club websites will have ticket information about specific games. Tickets for the 2020 Finals in Marseilles can be obtained here
What was the score in the last meeting between Lyon and Benetton? N/A
THE TEAM NEWS
- After a brilliant start to the season, Lyon have now lost four of their last five games in all competitions after they were on the end of a big loss away at Montpellier in their Top 14 clash at the weekend.
- That came on the back of consecutive defeats in the European Champions Cup as their wait for a maiden victory in the competition was prolonged but this home game against Benetton looks like their best chance of breaking their duck.
- Lyon are likely to throw everything into this fixture and will draw on the character they showed to keep playing until the death against Montpellier after scoring the last try of the game in injury time.
- Benetton have now lost four games in all competitions after they were unable to hold on to an 11-point lead at home to Cardiff Blues in their most recent Pro 14 contest at the weekend and that could be difficult to bounce back from.
- Having taken the lead into the break, Benetton were able to extend their advantage in the second half but a Cardiff try with the final play of the game saw the Italian side suffer yet another defeat.
- Benetton have lost both of their European Champions Cup matches so far this season and another loss here is likely to eliminate them from Pool 1 and they will need to dig deep to find a way to respond having thrown a comfortable lead away against Northampton too.
Lyon will be desperate to collect their first ever win in the European Champions Cup and will fancy their chances on home soil as they host Benetton. The Italians have been unable to hold on to the lead in their last two games in this competition as well as in the Pro 14 and they may well be wondering what they have to do to earn the win but their losing streak looks like being extended to five matches here with the French side set to be too good for them.