2020 Super League – Catalans Dragons vs Huddersfield Giants Preview & Prediction
When is Catalans Dragons vs Huddersfield Giants taking place? Saturday 1st February, 2020 – 17:00 (UK)
Where is Catalans Dragons vs Huddersfield Giants taking place? Stade Gilbert Brutus
What is the expected weather for Catalans Dragons vs Huddersfield Giants? 16c in partly cloudy skies
What channel is Catalans Dragons vs Huddersfield Giants on? Catalans Dragons vs Huddersfield Giants will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Catalans Dragons vs Huddersfield Giants? Catalans Dragons vs Huddersfield Giants cannot be streamed live in the UK
Where can I get tickets for Catalans Dragons vs Huddersfield Giants? Click here for the official Super League ticket section
What was the outcome in the last meeting? Huddersfield Giants 24-22 Catalans Dragons
THE TEAM NEWS
- Catalans were once again blighted by inconsistency in 2019 but will hope for a better showing this time after some big recruitment that they were able to add to just this week with the controversial capture of Israel Folau.
- Folau arrives in the south of France following his sacking by Australian Rugby Union for his off-field conduct and joins the likes of James Maloney at the Dragons with the former New South Wales halfback set to be crucial to the French outfit's chances this season.
- Catalans enter this first game of the year with a handful of injury problems including new signing Tom Davies who will have to wait for his debut whilst Folau has also been left out of this week’s squad.
21-man squad: Albert, Baitieri, Bousquet, Casty, Drinkwater, Garcia, Jullien, Kasiano, Langi, Maloney, Marguerite, McIlorum, Mead, Mourgue, Romano, Seguier, Simon, J. Tomkins, S. Tomkins, Whitley, Yaha
Unavailable: Sam Moa (Injured), Lewis Tierney (Injured), Alrix Da Costa (Injured), Mickael Goudemand (Injured), Tom Davies (Injured), Israel Folau (Match Fitness)
- Huddersfield were blighted by injuries last season and it nearly cost them their place in Super League but they managed to avoid the drop on the final day and will hope for a much better year this time around after some eye-catching recruitment.
- The Giants secured a huge coup during the off-season with the signing of Aidan Sezer and he will be key to Huddersfield's season but they have also bolstered their pack with James Gavet and Kenny Edwards.
- Ashton Golding was another signing that the Giants were hoping would improve their side but the fullback has picked up a hamstring injury pre-season will be missing for the first couple of months.
21-man squad: Clough, Edwards, English, Gaskell, Gavet, Lawrence, Matagi, McGillvary, McIntosh, Murphy, O’Brien, Russell, I. Senior, L. Senior, Sezer, Ta’ai, Walne, Ja. Wardle, Jo. Wardle, Wilson, Wood
Unavailable: Ashton Golding (Injured), Leroy Cudjoe (Injured), Akuila Uate (Injured), Tom Holmes (Suspended), Jordan Turner (Suspended)
Catalans and Huddersfield have both signed impressive playmakers from the NRL and that pair will go head-to-head here. Catalans need to find more consistency this season and have plenty of tools to improve on last year’s effort but they are missing several players who would have boosted their side and that could hamper their chances in this encounter with Huddersfield able to get their season off to an impressive start in Perpignan.