2019 NRL – North Queensland Cowboys vs Penrith Panthers Preview & Prediction
When is North Queensland Cowboys vs Penrith Panthers taking place? Friday 23rd August, 09:00
Where is North Queensland Cowboys vs Penrith Panthers taking place? 1300SMILES Stadium
What channel is North Queensland Cowboys vs Penrith Panthers on?
UK – This match will not be televised live in the UK
Australia – Fox Sports
Where can I stream North Queensland Cowboys vs Penrith Panthers?
UK – N/A
Australia – https://www.telstra.com.au/tv-movies-music/sports-offer
Where can I get tickets for North Queensland Cowboys vs Penrith Panthers?
North Queensland Cowboys – https://tickets.nrl.com/team/500012
Penrith Panthers – https://tickets.nrl.com/team/500014
THE TEAM NEWS
NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS
Head Coach: Paul Green
Starting 13: Drinkwater, Feldt, Kahu, Opacic, Taulagi, Morgan, Clifford, Bolton, Granville, McLean, Cooper, Wright, Asiata – Interchanges: Cotter, Hess, Hola, Molo – Reserves: Taumalolo, Gilbert, Jensen, Gela-Mosby
Unavailable: Nene Macdonald, Te Maire Martin, Ben Hampton, Justin O’Neill, Mitchell Dunn, Kurt Baptiste, Josh McGuire, Matt Scott
- North Queensland are desperate for the season to end after a fifth straight defeat and eighth loss in nine as they went down to Newcastle but they have three more attempts to try and restore some pride before the year draws to a close.
- The Cowboys endured some terrible news this week with prop Matt Scott suffering a stroke that could mean his NRL career is over with the Queensland great already set to retire at the season’s end.
- Jordan Kahu was a big doubt for the Cowboys earlier in the week after suffering a knock to his eye socket on his return from facial fractures but he looks set to play at centre whilst Jason Taumalolo is also expected to play after he was listed as a reserve following a foot injury.
Head Coach: Ivan Cleary
Starting 13: Edwards, Crichton, Whare, Naden, To’o, Maloney, Cleary, Tamou, Kenny, Fisher-Harris, Kikau, Martin, Yeo – Interchanges: Luai, Leniu, Leota, Campbell-Gillard – Reserves: Egan, Burns, Watene-Zelezniak, Sele
Unavailable: Tyrone May, Josh Mansour
- Penrith's play-off hopes were greatly harmed as they were defeated by a team they are competing with for a top 8 spot in Brisbane and will need to show an immediate response to their third defeat in four games.
- Brett Naden is a doubt for the Panthers after he suffered a head knock last week and will need to clear the concussion protocol but he has been listed in the initial team and will play providing he shows no ill effects to that knock in the lead up to the game.
- Josh Mansour is out with a back injury so rookie Stephen Crichton is selected in his place after missing out last week with an ankle injury whilst Jarome Luai returns on the bench following an eye injury.
North Queensland have endured a poor season and have not been helped by the injuries they have suffered all year. They are out of the play-off race and only have pride to play for now but face a Penrith side desperate for a win to aid their own play-off aspirations and they can win this one. The Cowboys have the perfect reason to put in a display this week as the club rallies around Matt Scott following his stroke and if that news coupled with the likely return of Jason Taumalolo cannot get them firing, Paul Green’s reign as head coach could be in danger of being ended.