2019 NRL – Newcastle Knights vs North Queensland Cowboys Preview & Prediction
When is Newcastle Knights vs North Queensland Cowboys taking place? Saturday 17th August, 06:00
Where is Newcastle Knights vs North Queensland Cowboys taking place? McDonald Jones Stadium
What channel is Newcastle Knights vs North Queensland Cowboys on?
UK – This match will not be televised live in the UK
Australia – Fox Sports
Where can I stream Newcastle Knights vs North Queensland Cowboys?
UK – N/A
Australia – https://www.telstra.com.au/tv-movies-music/sports-offer
Where can I get tickets for Newcastle Knights vs North Queensland Cowboys?
Newcastle Knights – https://tickets.nrl.com/team/500003
North Queensland Cowboys – https://tickets.nrl.com/team/500012
THE TEAM NEWS
Head Coach: Nathan Brown
Starting 13: Ponga, Mann, Hunt, Moga, Kenny-Dowall, Lino, Pearce, Klemmer, Watson, D. Saifiti, Fitzgibbon, Barnett, King – Interchanges: J. Saifiti, Ese’ese, Mata’utia Guerra – Reserves: Momoisea, Levi
Unavailable: Slade Griffin, Edrick Lee, Jesse Ramien, James Gavet, Tim Glasby
- Newcastle's play-off hopes look to be in tatters after suffering a sixth-straight loss as they were defeated by Parramatta last weekend but this game against North Queensland perhaps gives them a chance to end that streak.
- Connor Watson has been named in the starting side at hooker with Danny Levi dropping to the reserves whilst Tim Glasby is out injured due to the concussion protocol which means two new faces in the Knights team.
- Josh King starts at lock in place of Glasby and with Watson moving from the bench to the run-on side, that has allowed Herman Ese’ese to earn a spot as an interchange with the Knights set to run with a bigger bench this week.
NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS
Head Coach: Paul Green
Starting 13: Drinkwater, Feldt, Hess, Opacic, Kahu, Morgan, Clifford, Scott, Granville, McLean, Cooper, Wright, Asiata – Interchanges: Cotter, Bolton, Molo, Hola – Reserves: Jensen, Taulagi
Unavailable: Nene Macdonald, Te Maire Martin, Ben Hampton, Justin O’Neill, Mitchell Dunn, Kurt Baptiste, Josh McGuire, Jason Taumalolo
- North Queensland are all-but out of the play-off race after suffering defeat to Brisbane in the final play of the game last week and will be missing some key men here with another loss set to confirm their fate.
- The Cowboys will be able to call upon Jordan McLean after he missed out with a calf injury last week but that news has been tempered by the late withdrawal of Jason Taumalolo who is out with a foot injury.
- He joins the banned Josh McGuire on the sidelines as well as many others in what has been an unfortunate year for the Cowboys in terms of injuries but one piece of good news this week is that Jordan Kahu can return following a horrific facial fracture.
Both of these teams look set to miss out on the play-off but if Newcastle are to stand any chance, they must find a way to end their losing streak. They host North Queensland here on the back of six defeats but the Cowboys have only won one in eight and the home side can find a way to win. That looks even more likely now with the loss of star man Jason Taumalolo as the Tongan wrecking-ball is sidelined with a foot injury and his presence will be sorely missed by the Cowboys.