AT A GLANCE
When is New Zealand vs Sri Lanka taking place? Friday, 14th December, 22:00
Where New Zealand vs Sri Lanka taking place? The Basin Reserve,
What is the expected weather for New Zealand vs Sri Lanka? 20-22c with a small chance of rain on the first day but should be fine throughout
What channel is New Zealand vs Sri Lanka on? The match will be shown live on Sky Sports Cricket
Where can I stream New Zealand vs Sri Lanka? New Zealand vs Sri Lanka will be streamed live on Sky Go
Are tickets still available for New Zealand vs Sri Lanka? https://premier.ticketek.co.nz/shows/show.aspx?sh=EWBR0000018TP
New Zealand beat Sri Lanka by 5 wickets
THE TEAM NEWS
Captain: Kane Williamson
- New Zealand are coming off a fantastic Test series win in the UAE against Pakistan as they won the third and final match in dramatic fashion to give them a huge boost in confidence as they return home to face Sri Lanka in their next series.
- Despite being one of their heroes on his Test debut in the final match against Pakistan, off-spinner William Somerville has been left out of the squad for this series as they have decided to go with just the one spinner in Ajaz Patel which is largely due to the different conditions they expect to face at home as they will suit the pace bowlers more.
- They have however called up opening batsman Will Young following his superb form in domestic cricket and with the New Zealand A team so after a series of failures by Jeet Raval and Tom Latham against Pakistan, the current openers are under some pressure to improve their performances.
Captain: Dinesh Chandimal
- Sri Lanka come off a whitewashing at the hands of England on home turf so confidence is particularly low within the camp at the moment but they will take some heart from the fact that they have won a series in New Zealand before in 1995 albeit with a team of much greater quality than this one.
- They can welcome back skipper Dinesh Chandimal who picked up an injury in the first Test against England and subsequently missed the next two, while Lahiru Thirimanne and Sadeera Samarawickrama are both called into the squad for this series as off-spinner Akila Dananjaya misses out due to an illegal bowling action.
- Talented young fast bowler Lahiru Kumara is in the squad and he is one player that could benefit from the conditions in New Zealand as he has the raw pace and ability to cause the Blackcaps some issues, but otherwise this Sri Lanka squad is lacking in star quality overall.
These two nations are coming off recent Test series but there was a stark contrast in the results and performances. Sri Lanka were dominated by England on home soil and it was only really the favourable conditions for spinners that made them remotely competitive. Otherwise they lack quality in all facets of the team, and their camp is in turmoil for one reason or another. New Zealand on the other hand pulled off a stunning series win over Pakistan in UAE. The only possible fear is complacency or a hangover from that series, but they should ultimately have far too much quality for this poor Sri Lankan outfit.