New Zealand vs Pakistan – 3rd T20 International
26th Jan 2018 by Rob Esteva
When? Sunday, 28th January
Where? Mount Maunganui
Weather? Cloudy weather but no rain forecast with temperatures of 23-25c expected
What channel is it on? Sky Sports Main Event
Are tickets still available? http://premier.ticketek.co.nz/shows/show.aspx?sh=CRICKET18
Where can I stream the match? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match online via the Sky Go app
- The Blackcaps were stunned in their defeat in the 2nd T20 match by an outstanding batting display but there were signs of complacency creeping into their performance as they were lacklustre in all facets of the game at Eden Park.
- They have been rotating their squad over this series with half an eye on the upcoming matches with England and Australia and make changes again as Colin Munro misses out with a minor injury, but they do bring Ross Taylor back in so they remain strong in their batting as he comes in at three and Williamson will open.
- Young wicket-keeper Glenn Phillips has been dropped for this match and they have called up Wellington's Tom Blundell who can bat in the middle order while Tim Southee and Lockie Ferguson could both come into the side as they look to win the decider.
Expected team: Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson (capt), Ross Taylor, Tom Bruce, Tom Blundell (wk), Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Lockie Ferguson, Trent Boult, Ish Sodhi
- Pakistan pulled off their best performance of the series to comprehensively win the second T20 match and end a run of 13 consecutive defeats against New Zealand in all competitions so that will boost their confidence.
- Despite struggling with the bat for the entire tour, the Pakistani batsman enjoyed the small pitch at Eden Park with their top four batsmen all scoring 40 or more and enjoying high strike rates as they hit 201/4 from their 20 overs.
- The likelihood is that they will name the same 11 players for this deciding match as they look to end this tour on a high note and find some consolation from what has otherwise been a difficult tour.
Expected team: Ahmed Shehzad, Fakhar Zaman, Babar Azam, Sarfraz Ahmed (capt & wk), Faheem Ashraf, Haris Sohail, Umar Amin, Shadab Khan, Hasan Ali, Rumman Raees, Mohammad Amir
Pakistan were stunning in the second T20 match at Eden Park where they caught the Blackcaps by surprise and thoroughly deserved their win. The hosts were arguably a touch complacent in that game and they paid the price for it as for the first time in the entire series in all formats, they were up against it and looked fragile. If the team batting first can put a big score, then they have to be favoured. However, one would expect the hosts to get back to winning ways after their wake-up call on Thursday and clinch the series.
Scribble your email address here and click subscribe to receive our newsletter on all things sport, data and analysis!