2019-20 NHL – New York Islanders @ New York Rangers Preview & Pick
When is New York Islanders @ New York Rangers taking place? Wednesday 22nd January, 2019 – 00:00 (UK)
Where is New York Islanders @ New York Rangers taking place? Madison Square Garden, New York
What channel is New York Islanders @ New York Rangers on? Premier Sports
Where can I stream New York Islanders @ New York Rangers? Premier Sport subscribers can stream this match live via Premier Player
Where can I get tickets for New York Islanders @ New York Rangers? https://www.nhl.com/tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? New York Islanders 2 – 3 New York Rangers
THE TEAM NEWS
NEW YORK ISLANDERS
- The Islanders are decidedly going through their worst run of the entire season as they have dropped four of their last five games including three straight contests. They are coming off a 2-1 loss against the Carolina Hurricanes, and they have fallen all the way down to fifth place in the Eastern Conference standings as a result. They have 61 points in 48 games.
- Winger Josh Bailey has been listed as questionable due to illness, and he will be a game-time decision for this matchup. Forward Cal Clutterbuck and defenceman Adam Pelech have both been ruled out already.
- Mathew Barzal has not been able to score in any of his last five games, and he only has three assists during the last five contests. That said, he is already up to 40 points (17 goals, 23 assists) in 48 contests during the current campaign.
NEW YORK RANGERS
- The Rangers are coming off a 2-1 loss against the Columbus Blue Jackets and while that loss ended their two-game winning streak, the Manhattan-based franchise have still won three of their last five contests. That said, they still sit in 13th place of the Eastern Conference standings with 50 points out of 47 games.
- The Rangers have no injury concerns ahead of this match since their lone injury concern, Brendan Lemieux, already returned to action last week. As a result, New York should field their best units available ahead of this contest.
- Star winger Artemi Panarin had two goals and four assists in his previous two contests against the Islanders. The left winger already has 68 points (26 goals, 42 assists) in only 47 matches this season. He is on pace to surpass the 87-point plateau he set up last season when playing for the Columbus Blue Jackets.
This New York rivalry has seen the Rangers win two straight games during the current month, and that trend should continue here. The Rangers are playing better hockey of late, have gotten better results this month, are healthier, and they also have the advantage of playing in front of their own crowd. The Islanders are going through a rough patch and while they have enough talent to eventually bounce back from their struggles, that’s not likely to be the case here. The Rangers should be able to cruise their way towards a win.