2019-20 NHL – New York Islanders @ New York Rangers Preview & Pick
When is New York Islanders @ New York Rangers taking place? Tuesday 14th January, 2020 – 00:00 (UK)
Where is New York Islanders @ New York Rangers taking place? Madison Square Garden, New York
What channel is New York Islanders @ New York Rangers on? Premier Sports
Where can I stream New York Islanders @ New York Rangers? Premier Sport subscribers can stream this match live via Premier Player
Where can I get tickets for New York Islanders @ New York Rangers? https://www.nhl.com/tickets
What was the outcome in the last meeting? New York Islanders 1 – 2 New York Rangers
THE TEAM NEWS
NEW YORK ISLANDERS
- The Islanders are coming off a 3-2 overtime loss to the Boston Bruins and that was their second straight game that was decided through extra time. They are 2-3 over their last five contests, but they still sit in fourth place of the Eastern Conference standings with 58 points out of 43 games.
- Forward Casey Cizikas has been listed as day-to-day and will be a game-time decision due to a groin injury. Right winger Cal Clutterbeck is out until February, while defenceman Adam Pelech has been ruled out until the end of the 2019-20 season.
- Matthew Barzal, who snapped a seven-game goal drought last time out, should be the player to watch for the Islanders. He only has five points during that seven-game stretch, but has 37 points (17 goals, 20 assists) in 43 contests this term and he could very well surpass his career-high mark of 85 points set during the 2017-18 season.
NEW YORK RANGERS
- The Rangers own the exact same five-game form as their rivals, with two straight losses, back-to-back wins, and a defeat the last time out. Their 5-2 defeat against the St. Louis Blues sent the Rangers to 12th place of the Eastern Conference standings with 46 points out of 44 games. They are seven points adrift of a playoff berth at the moment.
- Defenceman Marc Staal has been listed as questionable due to an upper-body injury and will be a game-time decision for the coaching staff. Left winger Brendan Lemieux has been ruled out with a hand problem but he’s expected to return either this week, or the following one.
- Star forward Artemi Panarin remains one of the most productive forwards in the league and he has seven points over his last three outings. He was moved to New York’s second line, but he still ranks as a deadly scoring threat thanks to the fact he has 62 points (24 goals, 38 assists) in only 44 contests.
The Islanders are not known for getting involved in high-scoring contests, as evidenced by the fact they own the Conference’s best defence (111 goals conceded) and the fifth-worst attack (122 goals scored). The Rangers have allowed 3.4 goals per game during their previous five contests, and most of their problems lie on the defensive side of the ice. The five-game form between these two might be equal, but there’s no question the Islanders are the better team on both ends of the ice. Expect the Islanders to take advantage of those woes to secure a big win despite playing on the road.