2020-21 PGA Tour – The Players Championship Preview & Prediction
When is The Players Championship? 11th March – 14th March 2021
Where is The Players Championship? TPC Sawgrass, Ponte Vedra Beach
What is the total prize fund of The Players Championship? $15,000,000
What television channel can I watch The Players Championship on in the UK? This tournament will be televised live on Sky Sports Golf (channel 405)
Where can I stream The Players Championship in the UK? This tournament can be streamed live via the Sky Go app
Where can I get tickets for The Players Championship? Check the official tournament website for the latest ticket information
What is the course yardage at TPC Sawgrass? 7,189 yards
What is the par at TPC Sawgrass? 72
What is the predicted weather for The Players Championship? 21-27c with increasing temperatures over the four days and sunny weather expected
- While he is still winless on the PGA Tour since November 2019, there are signs that Rory McIlroy’s game is getting somewhere close to where he wants it, but he just needs to get the consistency in his game now to win a tournament.
- McIlroy won the last edition of The Players back in 2019 (with last year’s cancelled due to COVID) so he has strong form at TPC Sawgrass and after two top the finishes in his last two events, the Northern Irishman can challenge this weekend and even snap his drought.
- Hideki Matsuyama comes into this event with something of a point to prove as he was hugely frustrated when the event was cancelled after the first round last year due to COVID-19 but not before he posted a stunning nine-under-par 63 on TPC Sawgrass.
- After a missed cut at The Genesis, Matsuyama has responded with T15 at The Concession and T18 at the Arnold Palmer last weekend and he will relish returning to TPC Sawgrass where he can get off to another superb start.
TIP: First round leader
- Australia Cameron Smith is a local at Ponte Vedra Beach so knows TPC Sawgrass extremely well and he can use home advantage along with his excellent recent form to mount a push for victory come Sunday afternoon.
- Smith’s form this season has been strong having registered seven top 25 finishes in his ten appearances and three have been top ten finishes including runner-up at The Masters so he is one to watch here with plenty of factors in his favour.
TIP: Top ten finish