2019-20 UEFA Champions League – Atletico Madrid vs Liverpool Team News: expected XIs, injury report & suspension list
THE TEAM NEWS
- Atletico Madrid's form will be a big concern to head coach Diego Simeone ahead of this Champions League round of 16 first leg with Liverpool as they have won just one of their last seven games in all competition so their preparation for facing the reigning European champions has been far from ideal.
- They were most recently held to a draw with Valencia at the weekend in a match they led twice before being pegged back and Simeone will be demanding much more from his players as they enter this tie with a positive result crucial to take back to Anfield.
- Simeone will be without the injured Kieran Trippier for this game whilst there are also doubts over forwards Diego Costa and Joao Felix but he will give them as long as possible to make themselves available for this home leg.
Predicted line-up (4-4-2): Oblak; Arias, Gimenez, Felipe, Renan Lodi; Llorente, Partey, Koke, Saul; Alvaro Morata, Correa
Unavailable: Trippier (Injured), Dario Poveda (Injured), Herrera (Injured)
Doubtful: Joao Felix (Injured), Diego Costa (Injured)
- Liverpool were not at their best but were able to beat Norwich in the Premier League at the weekend to make it 17 consecutive league wins – one behind the Premier League record set by Man City in the 2017-18 season.
- The Reds' defensive resolve has been particularly impressive this season and they have kept 10 clean sheets in their last 11 league matches and it is likely to be the familiar quartet of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez and Andy Robertson tasked with keeping the La Liga side at bay.
- Sadio Mane was not fit enough to start at Norwich but is likely to come into the side following a match-winning performance from the bench and that should ensure Klopp’s first-choice front three line up together while Fabinho is fancied to come into the midfield trio after his benching over the weekend.
Predicted line-up (4-3-3): Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson; Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum; Salah, Firmino, Mane
Unavailable: Clyne (Injured), Shaqiri (Injured)