2019-20 Portuguese Primeira Liga – Vitoria Guimaraes vs Sporting CP Preview & Prediction
When is Vitoria Guimaraes vs Sporting CP taking place? Thursday 4th June, 2020 – 21:15 (UK)
Where is Vitoria Guimaraes vs Sporting CP taking place? Estádio Dom Afonso Henriques, Guimarães
Where can I get tickets for Vitoria Guimaraes vs Sporting CP? Ticket information can be found on each club’s official website
What television channel is Vitoria Guimaraes vs Sporting CP on? FreeSports have the rights to Portuguese Primeira Liga matches in the UK, so it is worth checking their schedule
Where can I stream Vitoria Guimaraes vs Sporting CP? If televised, subscribers can stream the match live on Premier Player
Bet365 subscribers can stream Portuguese Primeira Liga matches so it is worth checking their schedule
THE TEAM NEWS
- Vitoria Guimaraes were in fine form prior to the break as they had won their last three league matches and moved up to sixth in the table, so they will hope the pause in action does not stop their momentum.
- They will be motivated to win this game as this match offers them a great opportunity to close the gap to just two points to Sporting who sit in fourth and they are desperate to push for a Europa League spot once again.
- Vitoria will be without regular defender Sacko who is suspended for this game but otherwise all their regular starters are available and they will be able to field a strong side as some early positive tests for coronavirus appear to have subsided now.
- Sporting’s inconsistent season continues as they struggled to manage Europa League commitments with the league, but after being stunned by Istanbul Basaksehir before the break, they will now be able to focus on pushing for a European place.
- Top goalscorer Luiz Phellype is out with injury so Andraz Sporar is expected to be handed an opportunity to lead the attack but that does reduce their firepower somewhat unless Sporar can start scoring more regularly.
- The other major concern is over midfielder Wendel who is expected to miss out through injury so Eduardo Henrique is likely to start in midfield in his absence unless Doumbia comes in should boss Ruben Amorim decide to go for the more defensive approach here.
Had this match been prior to the enforced break, Vitoria Guimaraes would have strongly fancied their chances against Sporting given the form they were in. They will hope they can pick up where they left off as they were playing well and had good momentum behind them. Sporting on the other hand were struggling to juggle commitments in Europe and in domestic competitions but this break may well benefit them. They have the comfort of a five-point gap over Vitoria in the race for the European places, so they can focus on keeping things tight at the back and counter the hosts. Sporting can claim at least a point here which would suit them down to the ground.