2019-20 Portuguese Primeira Liga – Maritimo vs Benfica Preview & Prediction
When is Maritimo vs Benfica taking place? Monday 29th June, 2020 – 18:00 (UK)
Where is Maritimo vs Benfica taking place? Estádio dos Barreiros, Funchal
Where can I get tickets for Maritimo vs Benfica? Ticket information can be found on each club’s official website
What television channel is Maritimo vs Benfica on? FreeSports have the rights to Portuguese Primeira Liga matches in the UK, so it is worth checking their schedule
Where can I stream Maritimo vs Benfica? If televised, subscribers can stream the match live on Premier Player
Bet365 subscribers can stream Portuguese Primeira Liga matches so it is worth checking their schedule
THE TEAM NEWS
- After losing to Portimonense last time out, that has plunged Maritimo into further relegation trouble and they come into this game just four points above the relegation zone so the pressure is on.
- Central midfielder Bambock is suspended here after his booking last week so that will see one enforced change while the coach may contemplate further changes in defence after some poor mistakes cost them against Portimonense.
- They started poorly in the loss to Portimonense finding themselves 2-0 down in the first half and that will be one thing coach Jose Gomes will be desperate for his side to improve on against Benfica here.
- Benfica contrived to lost 3-4 at home to Santa Clara last time out as they let slip a 3-2 lead conceding two goals in the last 15 minutes which leaves them three points behind Porto in the title race now.
- That abysmal performance which saw some shocking defending has left boss Bruno Lage under threat of the sack and another bad result here could potentially see him leaving the club.
- Lage is not helped by the defensive crisis they are suffering as Alex Grimaldo is injured, Ruben Dias and Gabriel are both suspended for this game so he will be desperately hoping that Jardel can recover in time for this match though they will likely be rushing him back if he does play.
Benfica have all kinds of problems right now both on and off the pitch coming into this match with relegation-threatened Maritimo. They have key absentees in defence and after conceding four at home to Santa Clara, that does not bode well even against a poor attacking side like Maritimo. On paper, Benfica should be comfortably winning this game but the hosts cannot be ruled out from scoring and springing and upset. Both teams to score is the preferred play here.