FIFA Club World Cup 2019 Third Place Play-Off – Monterrey vs Al Hilal Preview & Prediction
When does Monterrey vs Al Hilal kick off? Saturday, December 21st (14:30 UK / 17:30 local)
Where is Monterrey vs Al Hilal being played? Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium, Doha
What TV channel is Monterrey vs Al Hilal on? Monterrey vs Al Hilal will be televised live on BBC iPlayer / BBC Sport Website
Where can I stream Monterrey vs Al Hilal? Monterrey vs Al Hilal will be streamed live on BBC iPlayer / BBC Sport Website
Where can I get tickets for Monterrey vs Al Hilal? Ticket details can be found here!
THE TEAM NEWS
- Monterrey were denied the chance of extra-time against Liverpool as the European champions broke the hearts of the Mexicans with a winning goal in stoppage time with them having little chance to respond.
- Having gone behind in just the 12th minute, Monterrey did a great job of responding instantly with Rogelio Funes Mori levelling the scores and despite putting in a valiant effort in front of goal, they were unable to find a second.
- That failure proved costly as Liverpool snatched the win in injury time and that loss may see the Mexican side rotate their team in this third place play-off to give some of their other squad members some game time.
- Al Hilal were unable to spring a surprise against Flamengo as the Brazilian side proved too strong in the second half with three unanswered goals seeing them overturn a one-goal half-time deficit.
- Having opened the scoring in the 18th minute through Salem Al-Dawsari, Al Hilal held on to their advantage until the break but were soon pegged back in the second period before two goals in the final 15 minutes sealed their fate.
- Any hopes that Al Hilal had of putting up a late fightback were hindered by a red card to Andre Carrillo and he will be forced to sit this contest out as a result but Mohamed Kanno will come back into contention after serving his suspension.
Monterrey will have to quickly pick themselves up from their agonising defeat to Liverpool in the semi-final. The Mexicans looked set to force extra-time until a goal in injury time saw them lose in dramatic circumstances and that could now see them change their side for this game. They will face Al Hilal who also gave a good account of themselves against Flamengo but this is likely to be another difficult task for them and it is Monterrey who are likely to end the tournament in third spot.