UEFA EURO 2020 – Switzerland vs Turkey Preview & Prediction
When does Switzerland vs Turkey kick off? Sunday 20th June, 2021 – 17:00 (UK)
Where is Switzerland vs Turkey being played? Baki Olimpiya Stadionu, Baku
Where can I get tickets for Switzerland vs Turkey? Click here for the latest ticket information
What TV channel is Switzerland vs Turkey on in the UK? ITV
Where can I stream Switzerland vs Turkey in the UK? This match can be streamed live on the ITV Hub
All matches: Switzerland 4 wins, Turkey 8 wins, 3 draws
Last meeting: Switzerland 1-2 Turkey (11/06/08)
- An encouraging display against Wales last Saturday was followed up by an atrocious performance against Italy in Rome for the Swiss. Vladimir Petkovic’s side were playing against a side oozing confidence and slick play but their inability to string passes together and lack of ambition moving forward up the pitch was concerning.
- One good performance in that 3-0 loss to Italy was that of right wing-back Kevin Mbabu. However, Ricardo Rodriguez on the left-hand side looked like a man who had played just 16 games for Torino in Serie A last season. Steven Zuber could be a more attacking replacement to come in for the once genuinely world class full-back.
- Xherdan Shaqiri’s lack of influence is also a concern for a Swiss team that are sacrificing Denis Zakaria in the starting eleven. The likelihood of Petkovic starting the match without Shaqiri and playing an extra defensive midfielder is unlikely but it could be beneficial for them actually building play up.
- The widely touted dark horses have been so, so poor. Zero goals scored and five conceded in their opening two matches has left Senol Gunes’ side needing to win this match quite handily and still hope other results go their way for them to finish as one of the four best third-placed sides.
- Yusuf Yazici was taken off after just 45 minutes against Italy and didn’t start against Wales but he was impressive and created the odd chance for Burak Yilmaz in the closing moments in Baku on Wednesday, so he could come back into the starting line-up
- The lack of attacking intent and cohesive patterns of play has been worrying but their impressive qualification results against France was built on a high press and then a quick and direct attacking play. This could be ideal for a match against a Switzerland team that try to dominate the possession with two central midfielders.
THE TEAM NEWS
PREDICTED XI (3-4-1-2): Sommer; Elvedi, Schar, Akanji; Mbabu, Xhaka, Freuler, Zuber; Shaqiri; Embolo, Seferovic
PREDICTED XI (4-5-1): Cakir; Celik, Demiral, Soyuncu, Meras; Ayhan, Tufan, Calhanoglu, Under, Yazici; Yilmaz
THE KEY STATS
- Switzerland have scored the first goal in six of their last seven competitive matches against Turkey – Switzerland to score first
- Switzerland have scored during the first half in each of their last seven competitive matches against Turkey – Switzerland to score in the first half
- Switzerland have scored more than one goal in only one of their previous 15 EURO final tournament matches – Switzerland under 1.5 goals
- Turkey have won each of their last two international matches against Switzerland – despite conceding the opening goal in both games – Switzerland to score the first goal and Turkey to win the match
- Turkey have scored two or more goals in three of their last four international matches against Switzerland – Turkey over 1.5 goals
Remo Freuler has been very poor for Switzerland but his performances for Atalanta in a very similar system has been extremely impressive, It could be argued that Petkovic is trying to replicate Gasperini’s Atalanta system but he is doing it with wing-backs either out-of-form or ‘defend first’ rather than Atalanta’s all-out-attack play. Given that Zuber could come into the team and make the Swiss more proactive going forward, that might suit Turkey’s counter-attacking game plan on the break with two of Yazici, Karaman or Under. Both sides need to score and both sides’ tactics could lead to that happening.
Tip: BOTH TEAMS TO SCORE
For fixtures, results, TV schedule, top scorers and plenty more, visit our tournament home page here!