When does Spain vs Sweden kick off? Monday 14th June, 2021 – 20:00 (UK)
Where is Spain vs Sweden being played? Estadio Olímpico de Sevilla, Sevilla
Where can I get tickets for Spain vs Sweden? Click here for the latest ticket information
What TV channel is Spain vs Sweden on in the UK? BBC
Where can I stream Spain vs Sweden in the UK? This match can be streamed live on the BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website
All matches: Spain 6 wins, Sweden 3 wins, 5 draws
Last meeting: Sweden 1-1 Spain (15/10/19)
- After a dominating qualification campaign that saw them win eight of ten matches without defeat, three-time European Champions Spain look a strong outfit and it would be a surprise if they weren’t to significantly improve on their EURO 2016 showing, which saw them eliminated in the Round of 16.
- Luis Enrique’s side have been beaten just once since November 2018, a run of 24 matches (including friendlies), with their most notable result a 6-0 thrashing of Germany in the UEFA Nations League, a clear indication as to the quality of this Spanish unit.
- However, Enrique’s preparations leading into their opening Group E fixture have been disrupted following the news that experienced central midfielder Sergio Busquets has tested positive for Covid-19 so he misses out, although they do have an excellent alternative in Man City’s Rodri. Defender Diego Llorente was also a concern but he has now returned to the squad and is available to play.
- Sweden finished behind Spain in their qualification group, but only lost once over the course of their ten games and head into EURO 2020 on the back of five successive victories (including friendlies).
- Despite having returned to international duty after a self-imposed four-year exile back in March with a view to playing at EURO 2020, Sweden’s all-time record goalscorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic will not feature at the tournament having picked up a knee injury playing for club side AC Milan, therefore the onus will fall on the likes of Alexander Isak to score the goals for Sweden in the 39-year-old’s absence.
- Like Spain, Sweden have also been hit by two Covid-19 cases within their camp as both winger Dejan Kulusevski and midfielder Mattias Svanberg tested positive for the virus and will serve a mandatory ten-day isolation period, with head coach Janne Andersson calling up six reserve players as potential cover, who will train on their own leading up to the tournament.
THE TEAM NEWS
PREDICTED XI (4-3-3): Simon; M. Llorente, Pau Torres, Laporte, Jordi Alba; Koke, Rodri, Thiago; Gerard Moreno, Morata, Ferran Torres
UNAVAILABLE: Busquets (Isolating)
PREDICTED XI (4-4-2): Olsen; Lustig, Lindelof, Danielsson, Bengtsson; Claesson, Larsson, Olsson, Forsberg; Isak, Berg
UNAVAILABLE: Kulusevski (Isolating), Svanberg (Isolating)
THE KEY STATS
- Spain have scored more than one goal in just two of their previous nine EURO final tournament opening group matches – Spain to score under 1.5 goals
- Sweden have lost six of their last eight EURO final tournament matches – Spain to win
- · Sweden have conceded the first goal in six of their last eight EURO final tournament matches – Spain to score first
- · Sweden have not failed to score in their six previous opening EURO final tournament group matches – Sweden to score
- Spain have only failed to score in one of their last 14 EURO final tournament group stage matches – Spain to score
Despite the positive Covid-19 cases in both the Spain and Sweden camps, this match is expected to go ahead and it is an important one in the context of Group E. These two sides collided in the EURO 2020 qualifying stages, with Spain picking up a win and a draw over Sweden. Despite the enforced absence of Sergio Busquets, Luis Enrique has a strong Spanish squad to choose from that looks well set to go deep in the competition. Add that to home advantage being in their favour here and Spain should secure a comfortable victory to get their Group E campaign off to the perfect start against a Sweden outfit that may struggle without Ibrahimovic at the tournament.
Tip: SPAIN TO WIN
For fixtures, results, TV schedule, top scorers and plenty more, visit our tournament home page here!