When does Hungary vs Portugal kick off? Tuesday 15th June, 2021 – 17:00 (UK)
Where is Hungary vs Portugal being played? Puskás Aréna, Budapest
Where can I get tickets for Hungary vs Portugal? Click here for the latest ticket information
What TV channel is Hungary vs Portugal on in the UK? ITV
Where can I stream Hungary vs Portugal in the UK? This match can be streamed live on the ITV Hub
All matches: Hungary 0 wins, Portugal 9 wins, 4 draws
Last meeting: Hungary 0-1 Portugal (03/09/17)
- Hungary’s hopes of emulating their run to the round of 16 in 2016 look slim given that they have been drawn in the ‘Group of Death’ alongside opponents here Portugal, as well as European heavyweights France and Germany.
- Their form over the past year has been excellent though as they are currently on a run of 11 games (including friendlies) without defeat, and they will not be the pushovers that many are expecting them to be.
- There will be no shortage of desire to get a result here in front of a home crowd but containing the likes of Bruno Fernandes and Cristiano Ronaldo will be a daunting task to say the least.
- The defending champions arguably have a stronger squad now than when they lifted the European Championship trophy five years ago but a positive result here is imperative with fixtures against Germany and France to come.
- Head coach Fernando Santos is blessed with several outstanding options in the attacking areas as, alongside the aforementioned Bruno Fernandes and Cristiano Ronaldo, he also has Bernardo Silva, Diogo Jota and Joao Felix at his disposal.
- Ruben Dias is also an influential figure in defence, but the loss of Manchester City teammate Joao Cancelo due to COVID-19 is a significant blow, with his spot in the starting XI likely to be taken by Wolves right-back Nelson Semedo.
THE TEAM NEWS
PREDICTED XI (3-5-2): Gulacsi; Fiola, Orban, At. Szalai; Lovrencsics, Nego, Nagy, Kleinheisler, Holender; Sallai, Ad. Szalai
PREDICTED XI (4-2-3-1): Rui Patricio; Nelson Semedo, Ruben Dias, Pepe, Guerreiro; Ruben Neves, William Carvalho; Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes, Diogo Jota; Ronaldo
THE KEY STATS
- Hungary have not lost any of their previous three EURO final tournament group stage matches (W1 D2) – Hungary draw no bet
- Portugal are unbeaten in 13 previous matches against Hungary (W9 D4) – Portugal to win
- Portugal have kept just one clean sheet in their last eight EURO final tournament group stage matches – Hungary to score
- Portugal have won five of their last six matches against Hungary without conceding a goal – Portugal to win to nil
- Andre Silva scored the first goal in each of Portugal’s last two matches against Hungary – Andre Silva to score the first goal
These two nations were also drawn together in EURO 2016 and it was surprisingly Hungary that topped the group on that occasion, and although a repeat does seem highly unlikely this time around – especially given the overall strength of the group – Hungary cannot be underestimated. They will make things as difficult as possible for the reigning champions and, roared on my a raucous home support, they may have some success for large portions of the match. However, the depth of talent in the Portuguese roster is undeniable and you would expect one or two moments of brilliance from their key protagonists to make a difference. A Portuguese victory in a match containing under 2.5 goals is the prediction.
Tip: Portugal to win and under 2.5 goals
For fixtures, results, TV schedule, top scorers and plenty more, visit our tournament home page here!