When does Austria vs North Macedonia kick off? Sunday 13th June, 2021 – 17:00 (UK)
Where is Austria vs North Macedonia being played? Arena Nationala, Bucharest
Where can I get tickets for Austria vs North Macedonia? Click here for the latest ticket information
What TV channel is Austria vs North Macedonia on in the UK? ITV
Where can I stream Austria vs North Macedonia in the UK? This match can be streamed live on the ITV Hub
All matches: Austria 2 wins, North Macedonia 0 wins, 0 draws
Last meeting: Austria 2-1 North Macedonia (16/11/19)
- Austria head into their third European Championship tournament having finished second in their qualification group after winning six and drawing one of their ten matches
- They’ll be looking to make history by reaching the knockout stages for the first time in their history, having been eliminated in the group stage at both EURO 2008 and EURO 2012 without winning a single match on both occasions.
- Head coach Franco Foda faces a nervous wait over his captain Julian Baumgartlinger, with the Bayer Leverkusen man a serious injury doubt, whilst Foda has confirmed that Watford goalkeeper Daniel Bachmann will start between the sticks for his side ahead of Alexander Schlager.
- North Macedonia have already made history by reaching their first ever European Championship finals after beating Georgia in a play-off final, so with little pressure on their shoulders they’ll be out to cause a surprise in Group C
- Whilst many will see them as favourites to finish bottom of the group, North Macedonia have already proven their credentials against the best of Europe having beaten Germany away from home in a World Cup qualification match this past March and they are in good form, losing just twice in their last 12 competitive fixtures.
- If North Macedonia are to succeed at EURO 2020, much will depend on attacker and talismanic leader Goran Pandev, who scored the goal that saw them through to this summer’s finals and the 37-year-old captain, alongside full-back Egzijan Alioski, are the most notable names amongst this North Macedonia side that are currently at full strength.
THE TEAM NEWS
PREDICTED XI (4-2-3-1): Bachmann; Lainer, Dragovic, Hinteregger, Ulmer; Laimer, X. Schlager; Sabitzer, Baumgartner, Alaba; Arnautovic
QUESTIONABLE: Baumgartlinger (Injured)
PREDICTED XI (5-3-2): Dimitrievski; Nikolov, Ristovski, Velkovski, Musliu, Alioski; Bardi, Ademi, Elmas; Trajkovski, Pandev
THE KEY STATS
- Austria won each of the two previous meetings between these nations – both matches were in the qualifying campaign for EURO 2020 (2-1 in Austria, 4-1 in North Macedonia) – Austria to win
- Austria have not scored more than one goal in any of their previous six EURO final tournament matches – Austria to score under 1.5 goals
- Austria have conceded the first goal in five of their previous six EURO final tournament matches – North Macedonia to score first
- North Macedonia only failed to score in only two of their 12 EURO 2020 qualifying matches – North Macedonia to score
- Austria have failed to score in four of their previous six EURO final tournament matches – Austria to not score
Both Austria and North Macedonia will see this as a real opportunity to get above the curve in Group C before Netherlands and Sweden face off later in the day. Having never won at the European Championship previously, Austria are expected to try and take the game to North Macedonia. However, Igor Angelovski’s side will prove a tricky outfit to break down with their flexible five-pronged backline and just as importantly, have a focal point within their attack in Pandev, that could see them cause serious trouble for Austria. Nerves within both teams would be understandable with each lacking major tournament experience and this may lead to a cagey affair as neither look to commit a large number of bodies forward knowing the risk of being hit on the counter-attack. Therefore, under 2.5 goals scored over 90 minutes should prove the smart play.
Tip: UNDER 2.5 GOALS
For fixtures, results, TV schedule, top scorers and plenty more, visit our tournament home page here!