When does Switzerland vs Spain kick off? Switzerland vs Spain will take place on Friday 2nd July, 2021 at 17:00 (UK)
Where is Switzerland vs Spain being played? Switzerland vs Spain will take place at Saint-Petersburg Stadium, Saint Petersburg
Where can I get tickets for Switzerland vs Spain? Click here for the latest ticket information for Switzerland vs Spain
What television channel is Switzerland vs Spain on in the UK? Switzerland vs Spain will be televised live on ITV
Where can I stream Switzerland vs Spain in the UK? This match can be streamed live on the ITV Hub
All matches: Switzerland 1 win, Spain 16 wins, 5 draws
Last meeting: Switzerland 1-1 Spain (14/11/20)
- Switzerland produced the shock of the tournament as they eliminated world champions France in a dramatic penalty shootout success which came on the back of scoring twice in the final nine minutes to force extra-time.
- Haris Seferović handed the Swiss a shock lead but Ricardo Rodriguez was unable to double his side’s lead as his spot kick was saved which France capitalised on by turning the game on its head to lead 3-1.
- However, Seferović’s second before a late leveller from Mario Gavranović kept the tie alive before ‘keeper Yann Sommer was the hero as he saved Kylian Mbappé’s penalty to seal a famous victory, although influential skipper Granit Xhaka will have to sit this one out as he is banned.
- Spain played their part in one of the most entertaining and intense matches of the tournament as they overcame Croatia in extra-time of their last 16 clash but the Spaniards now appear to be hitting their straps in front of goal which will worry the rest of the competition.
- Goals from Pablo Sarabia, Cesar Azpilicueta and Ferran Torres appeared to have given Spain safe passage into the quarter-finals but Croatia struck twice in the final five minutes to force extra-time.
- Those defensive lapses will be a concern for Luis Enrique but their quality in front of goal saw them progress with goals from Alvaro Morata and Mikel Oyarzabal rounding off the 5-3 win and that is now back-to-back games in which the Spaniards have scored five goals.
THE TEAM NEWS
PREDICTED XI (3-4-1-2): Sommer; Elvedi, Akanji, Rodriguez; Widmer, Freuler, Zakaria, Zuber; Shaqiri; Embolo, Seferovic
UNAVAILABLE: Granit Xhaka (Suspended)
PREDICTED XI (4-3-3): Unai Simon; Azpilicueta, Eric Garcia, Laporte, Jordi Alba; Koke, Busquets, Pedri; Sarabia, Morata, Ferran Torres
QUESTIONABLE: De Gea (Injured), Jose Gaya (Injured)
THE KEY STATS
- Five of Switzerland’s last seven EURO final tournament matches have finished level – Draw
- Switzerland have only failed to score in one of their last 12 international matches – Switzerland to score
- Switzerland have scored the first goal in three of their four matches at EURO 2020 – Switzerland to score first
- Haris Seferović has opened the scoring in each of Switzerland’s last two matches at EURO 2020 – Haris Seferović to score first
- Spain have lost only one of their previous 22 international matches against Switzerland (W16 D5 L1) – Spain to qualify for the semi-finals
Switzerland and Spain were involved in one of the most dramatic days in European Championship history as they overcame their respective opponents to ensure that they progressed to the quarter-finals. Switzerland were able to prevail against world champions France while Spain had to fend off the challenge of Croatia with both games going into extra-time. Both teams were very positive with the ball last time out but they looked vulnerable at the back too so another high-scoring clash is on the cards in this one.
Tip: OVER 2.5 GOALS
For fixtures, results, TV schedule, top scorers and plenty more, visit our tournament home page here!