2019-20 Premier League – Aston Villa vs Sheffield Utd Preview & Prediction
When does Aston Villa vs Sheffield Utd kick off? Wednesday 17th June, 2020 – 18:00 (UK)
Where is Aston Villa vs Sheffield Utd being played? Villa Park, Birmingham
Where can I get tickets for Aston Villa vs Sheffield Utd? No tickets are available as this match will be played behind closed doors
What TV channel is Aston Villa vs Sheffield Utd on in the UK? Sky Sports
Where can I stream Aston Villa vs Sheffield Utd in the UK? Sky Sports subscribers can stream the match live via Sky Go
THE TEAM NEWS
- Aston Villa return to action embroiled in a relegation scrap as they lost their last four league games prior to the break and they will be desperate to get a result here as a win in this game in hand would see them move out of the drop zone.
- Dean Smith has been given a major boost during the break by the return to full fitness of John McGinn who has been able to build himself back up after several months out and he is expected to start in central midfield.
- Smith oscillated between a back four and back five prior to the break but the return of McGinn may just encourage him to revert to the 4-3-3 formation that served them well in the first couple of months of the season.
Predicted line-up (4-3-3): Reina; Guilbert, Engels, Mings, Targett; Douglas Luiz, Hourihane, McGinn; El Ghazi, Samatta, Grealish
Unavailable: Wesley (Injured), Heaton (Injured)
- This game in hand is just as important for Sheffield United but at the other end of the table as a victory at Villa Park will see them move into fifth place ahead of Manchester United into what is currently considered to be a Champions League spot barring a successful appeal by Man City.
- Boss Chris Wilder has a fully-fit squad at his disposal for this match but he is unlikely to move away from his tried and trusted 3-5-2 formation although it remains to be seen who leads the attack from the four strikers available.
- The club are currently in discussions to extend Dean Henderson’s loan deal but he will play here regardless of that and it is difficult to imagine any surprises in Wilder’s selection for this first game back.
Predicted line-up (3-5-2): Henderson; Basham, Egan, O’Connell; Baldock, Lundstram, Norwood, Fleck, Stevens; McBurnie, Mousset
- Aston Villa have lost each of their last 5 matches in all competitions
- Aston Villa have been losing at both half-time and full-time in their last 5 matches in all competitions
- Aston Villa have conceded at least 2 goals in each of their last 5 matches in all competitions
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 5 of Aston Villa's last 6 home league games
- Aston Villa have failed to score in only 1 of their 13 home league games this season
- Sheffield United have won 3 of their last 4 league matches
- Sheffield United have lost only 2 of their previous 13 away league matches this season
- Sheffield United have scored more than 1 goal in only of their last 10 away league matches
- Sheffield United have scored the first goal in each of their last 3 matches against Aston Villa in all competitions
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in 11 of Sheffield United’s last 12 league matches
Villa will be frustrated to be forced to play without their fans as Villa Park can be formidable when full especially for evening matches. 17 of their 25 points this season have come at home but that advantage will be diminished to a degree now. Sheffield United were flying before the break and it came at the wrong time for them in many ways. That said, Wilder’s formation and line-up is solid and steady with every player knowing their role. The same cannot be said for Villa and Dean Smith who has not found the right formula this season. The visitors can pile the pressure on Villa’s relegation worries and claim at least a point from this match.