When is Venezuela vs Ecuador taking place? Sunday 20th June, 2021 – 22:00 (UK)
Where is Venezuela vs Ecuador taking place? Estádio Nilton Santos, Rio de Janeiro
Where can I get tickets for Venezuela vs Ecuador? Visit the official Copa America website for the latest ticket information
What television channel is Venezuela vs Ecuador on in the UK? BBC Red Button
Where can I stream Venezuela vs Ecuador in the UK? This match can be streamed live on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website
THE TEAM NEWS
- A tournament that began in off-field disarray with several players having to pull out due to COVID, including their captain Tomas Rincon, has actually become relatively solid after a goalless draw against Colombia in their second match.
- They lost to Brazil by three goals to nil in which a Neymar penalty mid-way through the second-half was finished off by a late Gabigol goal as the Venezuelans kicked on. However, given that Brazil have gone and dismantled a decent Oeru side by four goals to nil in the second match, it reflects quite well on the Venezuelan performance.
- They are yet to score a goal, and they are without the injured talismanic figure of Salomon Rondon, so that will probably be a theme for the Venezuelans - especially as Atlanta United’s Josef Martinez is quarantining after a positive COVID-19 test.
- Ecuador began their tournament with a 1-0 defeat to Colombia in the second match of the tournament. However, despite that defeat, they were generally the better side until a lovely set-piece routine gave Colombia the edge in a tight match.
- Given that performance, they are unlikely to make many changes and there doesn’t immediately appear to be any doubts over any of their players.
- Goals shouldn’t be too difficult to come by as the tournament progresses with Enner Valencia continuing to lead the line and the likes of Moises Caicedo and Leonardo Campana potentially ready to make an impact on their first ever major tournament.
The confusion and lack of cohesion in the attacking phase for Venezuela is inevitable given the upheaval that has been caused in the immediate build-up to the tournament. It could be argued that Ecuador have had similar issues so far in that opening defeat against Colombia but, as mentioned, that is unlikely to be a running theme given Enner Valencia’s impressive international record of 31 goals in 58 games. Ecuador should be capable of nicking this.