2021 Copa America – Colombia vs Ecuador Preview & Prediction
When is Colombia vs Ecuador taking place? Monday 14th June, 2021 – 01:00 (UK)
Where is Colombia vs Ecuador taking place? Arena Pantanal, Cuiabá
Where can I get tickets for Colombia vs Ecuador? Visit the official Copa America website for the latest ticket information
What television channel is Colombia vs Ecuador on in the UK? BBC Red Button
Where can I stream Colombia vs Ecuador in the UK? This match can be streamed live on BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website
THE TEAM NEWS
- Colombia’s World Cup qualifying campaign has been stuttering but four points from a possible six last week against Peru and Argentina means that Reinaldo Rueda’s 28-man squad come into this tournament with a required confidence boost. An experienced squad lacking the likes of James Rodriguez and Radamel Falcao due to injury will be confident of at least making the knockout stages.
- The Colombians have made it through the group stages of every Copa America since 2007 which is four separate tournaments. This isn’t the best side in recent years, though, with the 2014-2019 generation with the aforementioned Falcao and those such as Jackson Martinez having began to move on.
- Key players ahead of this summer will include the Atalanta duo of Duvan Zapata and Luis Muriel. Both players have been prolific in an Atalanta team that consistently and relentlessly attack with aggression. The concern for Colombia will be being exploited via the wings with two converted centre-backs playing at full-back in Stefan Medina and William Tesillo.
- Gustavo Alfaro’s main criticism when coaching Boca Juniors was a lack of tactical identity; his Ecuador side so far have shown a clear identity in terms of attack. Their 6-1 qualifying victory over Colombia in the Autumn of last year followed back-to-back victories against Bolivia and Uruguay which totalled ten goals combined. Their eight qualifying matches for next year’s World Cup have consisted of a total of 25 goals.
- Ecuador have made it out of the group stages of this tournament on just one occasion in the last eight in a run that stretches back to 1997. That one tournament came on North American soil in 2016 when it was held in the United States. They will fully anticipate reaching the knockout stages of this one as their newest generation are improved.
- That newest generation includes the likes of Gonzalo Plata, Moises Caicedo and Leonardo Campana who are all players that have earned movies to European sides ahead of expectedly long and successful careers. That youth is balanced out by the presence of 2014 World Cup star Enner Valencia and the experience of Sochi’s Christian Noboa.
That aforementioned 6-1 qualifying victory for Ecuador over the Colombians in November 2020 is very unlikely to be repeated in this instance. However, as stated, Ecuador’s ability to concede goals is almost on a par with their ability to score them, too. Colombia, with Muriel and Zapata as striking options, will fancy their chances of a goal but so will Ecuador so both teams getting on the score sheet is something of a tempting bet for this one.