2019-20 Belgian Jupiler Pro League – Genk vs Mechelen Preview & Prediction
When is Genk vs Mechelen taking place? Sunday 15th March, 2020 – 17:00 (UK)
Where is Genk vs Mechelen taking place? Luminus Arena
What television channel is Genk vs Mechelen on? This match will not be televised live in the UK
Where can I stream Genk vs Mechelen? Belgian Jupiler Pro League matches are occasionally streamed on Betfair so it is worth checking their website
Where can I get tickets for Genk vs Mechelen? Ticket information can be found on each club’s official website
THE TEAM NEWS
- It’s all to play for as Genk meet Mechelen in the final round of the regular season with a place in the top six guaranteed for the winner of the contest between two teams who are level on points and goal difference in the table.
- Genk had to come from behind to defeat lowly Oostende 4-2 in their last fixture with a red card for Oostende's Louis Verstraete just before half time proving to be the pivotal moment in the match.
- The victory against Oostende came at a cost with Norwegian midfielder Kristian Thorstvedt suffering a fractured foot which is likely to rule him out for the rest of the campaign.
- Mechelen were left to rue missed opportunities as they could only draw 1-1 at home against Eupen last week which means they have to win here to be certain of a place in the top six.
- They had led 1-0 at half time against Eupen with Igor de Camargo giving them the lead but a mistake from Arjan Swinkels gave their opponents a way back into the game and despite some good openings late in the game Mechelen could not force a winning goal.
- Mechelen won the reverse fixture earlier in the season but their record away from home against Genk is poor in recent times with seven defeats from their last seven visits to Genk in the Belgian Jupiler Pro League.
There is plenty at stake in this fixture between two teams battling it out for the final spot in the top six. A win for either team would guarantee their place, but a draw could see Anderlecht swoop in ahead of them both so it should guarantee a dramatic 90 minutes of action. As you would expect there is not a lot to choose between two teams who are so tightly locked in the table and this could end up in a draw which is the result that could see both teams missing out on a top six finish.